Moving to England Avice

Travel Forums Europe Moving to England Avice

Last Post This thread is marked as being about United Kingdom
1. Posted by Lindsay22 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

So my boyfriend is from England and I'm going to visit him for 3 weeks in November. He can't find a way to get a visa to come back here and being that long term is really difficult so I'm considering moving to UK for him. Does anyone know who I should contact to obtain a temporary work permit? Only wanna live there for 6 months cuz I'm starting college next fall. Wanna maybe work in a pub or something. Just a job so I can live there and be able to pay rent for the flat I get. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this... thanks

2. Posted by jackboy (Inactive 350 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I cannot help you personlly but try these few websites;
Also at the top of the page their is some very useful threads if you click onto links,tools,destinations,accommodation etc.
Have a nice day.
al de bes

3. Posted by mbarnfield (Budding Member 4 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

If you are a US citizen you do not need a Visa if you intend to work for 6 months or less.

If you intend to extend your stay at all, it is worth talking to an immigration advisor at the nearest British consulate office.

To find one close to where you live, click here.

4. Posted by bob flinn (Full Member 173 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi Lindsey,
AS a US citizen you do not need a visa to enter the UK for six months or less, you will need a work permit.

All the advice that you need you can get at the nearest consulate.

It might help your work permit application if your boyfriend can get you a job offer to support your application.

The important things are to have done the searches and checks before you arrive and can satisfy UK immigration that you are not trying to enter the country on a visit and then not return home to the USA.

Here are some web sites that will help. the first one is the official government visa advice site and it will also help you with the work permit information.

uk visas

for other information you might like to read this site.

If there is any more help I can give you or your boyfriend please get in touch.

Best wishes,

Bob Flinn
work permits

[ Edit: ...fixed links ]