1. Posted by Sunny Soph (Budding Member 7 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

hey, im off to oz in 3 weeks and ive so far only managed to get a 3 month visa (ETA). slight problem because im going for 5 mnths, so can i get an extension or do i have to apply for another one when my 3 months are up??? help x

2. Posted by jackboy (Inactive 350 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

When you are "in Australia" you can extend your visa to stay for longer,"that is no problem", but dont wait until your visa expires or you will have to do it from a sunny jail!!!!!!!!only joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Just take a few hours away from being a beachbum and go into somewhere like a citizens advice bureau and they will give you all the advice you need.
Try www.immi.gov.au
or do a google;australia visa
Have a great trip.
al de bes

3. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi Sunny Soph,
You cannot extend an ETA while you are present in Australia. You could ask for an extension at immigration clearance (the airport), but don't hold your breath on that one. What you can apply for in Australia to stay longer is a tourist visa, and you can do this online. You should do it at least 3 weeks before your other visa expires and make sure your total stay in Australia (from the date you last entered) doesn't add up to more than 6-months on the application. The only problem you may have is if your ETA has a condition 8503, which means "no further stay".
Considering your 5-month stay I'm not sure why you didn't get a working holiday visa or your travel agent didn't apply for a tourist visa from the outset. Its probably not to late to try both. Both visas can often be turned around in 48 hours.

Need any more help - just ask.