Skip Navigation

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by Orquidea (Budding Member 6 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi, I am currently making plans for travel to australia and would like to work as a seasonal worker. But I am not sure which visa I require. I have read that once you obtain a visa and are in Aus you can extend it after three months, is this true?, I don't want to be stuck some where because I got incorrect information. Any tips I can get would be great, thanx, O

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5233 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If you want to work, you'll want a working holiday visa. This allows you to stay in the country for up to one year, and to work for the same employer for up to three months. They've also just imlemented a new scheme, where if you do seasonal work for three months or longer, you can stay up to two years total.

Should be perfect for you.

The three month thing is just a visitor's visa, and can be extended to six months, but you're not allowed to work on that.

3. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Sanders right,
but only if you are from one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, France, and Italy, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan. If you are aged between 18-30 at the time of application and meet some other basic criteria you can apply for an Australian Working Holiday visa. The visa is valid for one year from the date you arrive and is multiple entry meaning you can come and go from Oz. You can only work for one employer for three-months then you must change employers; You cannot extend a working holiday visa (WHV) unless you work for 3-months in a designated regional area and do harvest work. If you do this you can apply for a second year on your WHV; however, the 3-months with one employer rule still applies.

Application is via the internet or you can nominate someone else to do it for you.

If your 3-month visitors visa is an ETA (electronic travel authority) you cannot extend it. You can change the ETA visitors visa to a tourist visa; however, you cannot work on these visas so forget about those.
If you have rural skills you can apply for a different type of visa that allows a much longer stay as long as its in the regions. I won't go into this as its very detailed.

Hope this helps.

4. Posted by cow25 (Budding Member 9 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Try this link... -

Has all the information regarding visas