Skip Navigation

prescriptions in australia and new zealand????

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific prescriptions in australia and new zealand????

1. Posted by helntorz (Budding Member 6 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

:)hi ya,
my sister and i are leaving for our travels in just under 3 weeks time and i have just been to GP for inhalers for my asthma and he has only given me 2 of them even though i may be away for up to a year, he said i should be able to get some in australia.. does anyone know if you can buy them over the counter or need to go to a doctor?
also i am on the contraceptive injection (depo) and just wondered if i can get that over there as well?
thanks in advance

hel n torz

ps if anyone wants to meet up in the sydney area around xmas, new year time let us know!

2. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Asthma inhalers are by prescription so you'll need to see a doctor. As for the other..can't help you, sorry.

3. Posted by JetSet83 (Budding Member 20 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hey I don't know about Australia, but in NZ you pay about $50 to see a doctor no matter where you go. You can just walk in or call to make appointment. Prescriptions also cost money but are partly paid for by the government so should all up cost you around $60-$70 so try to avoid going to the doc to often....
As for the contraceptives, go to the Family Planning Association (FPA) it is either free if you're under 22 or costs hardly anything to go and see a nurse or sex doctor there. They will give you up to 350 condoms free of charge, the pill costs $3 for 6 months and the depo injection is probably under $10 to get. They are in the phone book.
Hope that helps!

Have fun

4. Posted by samsara_ (Travel Guru 5353 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


Was with my GP during the week, and she said to keep the packets of any medications I'm on and show them to a doctor abroad if I need to get a new prescription because the drugs may just have a different name in another country.