Backpackers! Do I need a work permit to work in the UK?

Travel Forums Europe Backpackers! Do I need a work permit to work in the UK?

1. Posted by rambler (Budding Member 2 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

My friend and I are planning a trip to Europe for Fall '06. We're looking into travel insurance, flight tickets, all that jazz.I can find that stuff on here no problem, but we're getting a little confused with the work permit stuff. We're planning to start in the UK and want to work small jobs there - pubs, B&B's, farms, ect. Do we need a work permit? I know a ton of backpackers work illegally, but is that what most of ya'll do? We were looking into work permits, but most of them don't seem right for us and they're pretty expensive. Do ya'll recommend working illegally or am I missing something?

Also, what exactly do you need in order to get into Europe? We're planning to buy one way tickets, but I know some countries require a return ticket. Do we need an address to give out in the country?

2. Posted by jackboy (Inactive 350 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Most Airlines will NOT sell you a oneway ticket from USA to Europe as if they dont let you in they will have to bring you home!!!
You are required to have an address with name, phone Nos etc for your first stop if its England!!!!!!,its just todays world!!!!.
Odd jobs just take and work as you find them;illeglly, if thats the word!!pasttime to stop getting bored!!!!!!another word!!!!
Have a nice day.
al de bes

3. Posted by jasonborth (Budding Member 12 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi Rambler, Jackboy's comments are all valid, look on the bright side that you don't have to be fingerprinted to come here.

As for your question about work permits, you do need a permit to work in the UK. Usually the best way is to apply through Bunac, we've had a lot of staff through them and they seem to find it easy to get all the necessary paperwork and bank accounts sorted out. In theory you can get cash in hand work, but its a lot harder to find these days and especially with overseas staff.

Enjoy your visit and hope you find the work you want.



4. Posted by Jerrycrow (Full Member 165 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

well, its good to work illegally, but provided you can find such an employer. usually the employer that employs illegals are not English. ususally just opportunist from other countries like Bangladesh, Chinese and Hongkongese. all work is in cash and usually a place to stay is provided, these are retaurants and takeaways.

5. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

if u are American u need a visa. work permits are extremely hard.
pub jobs are not as easy as u might hav heard and illegal work is kinda dodgy - 2 lithuanian girls were subjected to Slave labour and sex crimes in the UK (by non-Uk citizens) for what they were told was a working holiday prearranged.

are u student? if so u might wanna try BUNAC.

might suggestion: do it legally or dont plan on doing it - if it happens take the job but dont count on it when u come over here.

6. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hey Rambler, I to am a backpacker looking into what paper work or whatever I need to work in the UK in the fall. I here september-october is the best time to get jobs because it's the end of the tourist season and all the students working for the summer go home. I've been calling around to see whats needed. I might have more info this week because every place I call seems to have a different story, but if I get anything usefull I'll let you know.;)

7. Posted by penna (Full Member 110 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

i dont think you will be able to go on a one way ticket. My sister is an occupational therapist, sponsored by some big hospital in london but because she is an aussie even she needs a ticket home, it will be the same for americans. Do u know ppl in the uk? there is a large australian community in london so when i have ben there to visit my sister i have always easily found illgal jobs that didn`t pay too badly but if u have no contacts it is probably better to get a permitt just so that no one takes advantage of you. it is an expensive country so u need to be able to have a steady stream of money

8. Posted by Jerrycrow (Full Member 165 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

come with a return ticket, with a return ticket, at least the immigration officer wont think that you will overstay your visa. play it safe, play it smart.

Post 9 was removed by a moderator