1. Posted by cailin (Budding Member 3 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I tried to apply for my tax file no. for oz online but they said that on making an enquiry into my passport numbr that I hadn't arrived in oz yet.

I wanted to apply for it and get it sent to a friends house so that when i do arrive there it will be ready for me to use and this would save time.

Is there a way of doing this? I was told there was!


2. Posted by ozintro (Full Member 56 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

As far as I'm aware, you need to be in Australia before you can apply for your tax file number.
The Australian Taxation Office computers are linked to the Department of Immigration's computers and they can tell whether you are in the country or not.
It doesn't take long to do once you arrive.

3. Posted by ozeire (Budding Member 41 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi cailin

I agree with ozintro

You can check out all about Tax and Tax File Numbers at




4. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

You're both right: you have to be in-country. However, when you apply online you get a reference number bounced back to you immediately: this is all you need to start work. After 12 or so days (the ATO says 28) ring the tax office, give them ID reference and they will read your number out over the phone. You don't need a paper copy of it for any significant reason.

5. Posted by rhiannon (Full Member 52 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I started work without my TFN, as long as you've applied for it you can start work!