Skip Navigation

U.K. help desperately needed!!!!!

Travel Forums Europe U.K. help desperately needed!!!!!

Last Post This thread is marked as being about United Kingdom
1. Posted by maridod (Full Member 114 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

This goes out to everyone and anyone that might be familiar with U.K. immigration laws. I am a 23 American college graduate looking to get a job in the U.K. There are many organizations that I would love to work for there, but I do not have the work permit to do that!!! Does anyone know if it is possible to get a work permit on your own, without a company sponsering your visa. Are there any Americans who have done this before, without marrying a person from the U.K. or other dodgy ways....haha!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!


P.S. I am not looking to become a citizen of the U.K., but would like to get a visa that is valid for at least a year or two.

2. Posted by mbarnfield (Budding Member 4 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You can come to work in the UK on a working holday visa. This allows you to work for up to two years as long as you take holiday time at some point. There is no restriction on who you can work for or how long the holiday needs to be. Working over a year, you would normally take a break anyhow.

As a US citizen you qualify to apply for a Working Holiday Visa. Log on to this website for more information.


3. Posted by maridod (Full Member 114 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


Thank you soooo much for the advice!!!!!! I was sure that I didn't qualify under the working holiday visa. I could have sworn that I looked at other websites that said that that U.S. didn't qualify. Needless to say I am realy excited that I can. Now all I have to do is start saving to go over there. Thanks again!!!!

-Grace Marie