Skip Navigation

Visa for temporary work...

Travel Forums North America Visa for temporary work...

1. Posted by JammySam (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Me and a friend are planning to go to Montana to do some temporary work for some American friends. We're only staying for two and a half months. It's just casual work in a restaurant, but do I need a visa for it?
If I do need a visa, which one is it? Please help!!:)


2. Posted by jen23 (Full Member 73 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hey - I see this thread never had an answer to it ....I have that same question -

I'll be in the US for about 2 months, is it possible to work casually? Or do I need a specific visa??

any replies would be greatly appreciated.

3. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5077 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

It is not possible to work in the US without a work permit. I noticed Sam's posting was in October of last year - I'd be very surprised if he even made it through immigration.

Do not, under any circumstances, suggest to immigration that you are interested in working during your stay in the US. You have to prove to immigration officials that you have the financial means to support yourself during your stay without working. Remember, immigration officials are under no obligation whatsoever to allow you to enter the country, and if they so much as suspect a hole in your story, you'll be on the first plane home.