Bar work in Australia...advice please!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Bar work in Australia...advice please!

1. Posted by leli (Budding Member 8 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Im thinking of getting some bar work to help my travel fund while in Australia and have heard I need a permit to work in a licenced bar. I have all the info to do this but it costs $140 and has a 2 week waiting list. Does anybody know of companies that don't require this permit/qualification? Also if Im travelling up the east coast will it be easier to get bar work without this?



2. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

I'm surprised that there is such a long waiting list, but I'd be surprised if you picked up work without doing the course.

Have a look at...

3. Posted by TylerJames (Respected Member 333 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

RSA def a bonus but you may be able to find some bar work where they pay you in accomidation or drinks but you MAY not be able to serve

4. Posted by sienna (Budding Member 6 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

There were some people in my hostel who worked for an employment agencie (bluestone i think?????) they were able to get a discout and paid only about 50$. I don't think there was any waiting list, they just signed up and did it that week.

I hope that works

5. Posted by Europe2006 (Budding Member 24 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Hello Leli,

Who said you needed a permit to work in a licensed bar?? I work in a licensed bar and I don't know anyone that has a permit to work in one. We have had a lot of travellers come to work with us! I say just walk around the city giving your resume out to different pubs or even small cafes and restaurants (ask for cash in hand- if you can!) and you will definately find some sort of work.

ps- relax! It will all work out! :-)

6. Posted by flis_82 (Inactive 22 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

If you are hoping for bar/waitressing work try and get as much experience as possible before you leave for your CV (resume) as well as a few references to bring with you. They won't want to waste time in training someone who will leave in 3months,the best bet is to go directly into places rather than send off CV's or reply to job, and once i got my RSA certf it was alot easier,

As of June 05 to work anywhere in NSW (& QLD i think) that serves alcohol (even if you're waitressing) you need to hold an RSA (responsible serving of alcohol) certf, they are done in a day and super easy to do (there are loads of courses all around just look in the local papers when you get here) but they do cost around $65-90 so make sure you budget for that.
Hope that helps abit for anyone planning on working here