Skip Navigation

Answers for a confused Canadian?

Travel Forums Europe Answers for a confused Canadian?

1. Posted by lamylm (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Ok so here is my story...

Went to Portugal last year for 4 months fell in love with an English guy. Took him home to Canada with me. Work has not been very forthcoming for him here, so we are going to try our luck in Europe. Here is where I get confused. He's going back to England in Feb. I'm going to meet him there in April when I'm finished work. We are planning on staying in England for 2 weeks then going to go to one of these 3 places: Greece, Spain, or Tenerife Canary Islands.
To apply for a working holiday visa do I have to apply for one country or is there one that would allow me to work throughout Europe?
Does anyone know what the work situation would be like for any of these places. Were looking to work in the touristy areas by the beach so that language doesn't hinder our chances for work. I have experience in bars, restaurants, office work, and film industry.
If anyone has any advice or info that would be great!!!

2. Posted by rhiannon (Full Member 52 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


I don't know the answer to your visa question, sorry!

But on the work front, I'm sure you will both get work in Tenerife or mainland Spain no problem. Especially if you have experience in bars and restaurants. Most of the main holiday resorts have people out on the streets handing out flyers, and trying to encourage custom, so you would always get work doing that if the bar work wasn't so easy to come by.

Could you not just move to England and live and work with your man there?

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any more help


3. Posted by georgep (Respected Member 201 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

What i think is that you need a visa for each country if you want to stay longer then 90 days and of course you need a work permit.

My wife is Canadian and we live in Sweden (i am Dutch) and her visa is only for Sweden. Of course she can travel all over europe with out any problems or extra visa as long as it's no longer then 90 days.

Also her work permit is only for Sweden.

But to make sure why don't you call the embasy of the country's you want to visit and ask.


4. Posted by lamylm (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I will end up have to apply for a visa to each country I want to work in. I don't really want to live in England because the way I look at it is if I'm going to leave home I don't want to go somewhere with the same weather...rain!!! So that's why were looking into the sunny spots. How is work to come by in greece? I'm getting alot of feedback on Spain but nothing on Greece yet. Anyone????

5. Posted by Twinkle (Respected Member 1112 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

A few years ago I spent a couple of seasons working abroad where I worked on a two of the Balearic Islands and also in Corfu, one of the Greek Islands....They all are a similar type of set up, no one bothers to ask for visas or work permits as they are all kind of non-contract jobs that pay cash in hand and the turnover of staff throughout the season is immense so its all really casual.....I worked in Ibiza starting with PR work for an event then managed to find a job doing costume design...In Mallorca I did both waitressing and bar work and in Greece it was also bar work. Jobs are easy enough to find in these big, raucus holiday places, people come and go all the time so theres always something new that pops up!the money isnt great and theres always a lot of drama but its really good fun, you meet loads of people and its just kind of an extended holiday!I would reccomend you tried to find a waitressing job as you get the added bonus of tips and also you finish work earlier so its more time to go out partying!As for the visa thing, I wouldnt bother, just go as a holiday maker and then do a bit of work whilst youre there, all of the bars and are ran by locals and ex pats with the intention that its not going to be a permenent job so nobody is going to know your working!

6. Posted by Twinkle (Respected Member 1112 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Oh yeah, as for greece....Island hopping is a great way to see the country and you can actually buy passes for this kind of thing. The boats however are cheap enough and this way you can move around a bit and work at the same time!Jobs come and go so you could even just do one for a couple of weeks and move on!Mykonos Is one of my favourites as its busy and hectic but at the same time it isnt half as cheap and tacky as places like the major party areas such as Malia, Kos etc......maybe find places in areas away from the main areas for all the teenagers as in areas more couple and family orientated you can find good restaurants and bars to work in where jobs arent so competitive!