Skip Navigation

1. Posted by drdrjones (Full Member 18 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


how long do people generally take to find work out here in Sydney? I've got an RSA and 'experience' for a waiters/kitchen hand/ barman job.

also, do business check how long your work limits are on your holiday working visa?



2. Posted by ozman (Full Member 118 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You probably won't have any problems finding hospitality work in Sydney mate. Go around to the bars and ask them. Also, get on with some agencies.

I have done the opposite of you (ie: come from Oz to the UK with a WHV), and they were pretty keen on seeing my visa. I don't think that you will have any limitations to how much you can work, though I think that you are going to need to get your hands on your Tax file number ASAP or you will be hit at the top rate of tax (around 48%).

Have a good trip!

3. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Most businesses don't need to check as they will know that you only have 3-months per employer. They can get in a lot of trouble for allowing people to breach the visa conditions, as can you. It also depends on how they pay you. There's a lot of under the table payments going on in hospitality. As to how hard it is to get work: well it won't land at your feet. As Ozman said, get out and start door knocking. Type a one page CV with contact details (make sure you have a local mobile phone number), make a few copies then start doing the rounds of bars and restaurants. Networking is the key. Try spotless catering and the truffle group. They are big hospitality employers. I know there is a huge demand for kitchen hands in restaurants just now.