relocation vans and driving licenses in nz

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific relocation vans and driving licenses in nz

1. Posted by weaversgal (Full Member 107 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

im currently travelling around india and moving onto thailand and se asia at the end of the month but once that has been done my partner and i are thinking of going to new zealand getting a campervan and seeing what looks to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world!

two questions
1) neither of us have the paper part of our driving license... we have the photo id section but not the card and nor do we have an international driving permit... would we need the idp to hire a campervan and if we dont need that would we need the paper section? we can get it faxed over if necessary but would a fax be ok?

2) i spoke to a girl who had done nz and she said to get a relocation van... she said she didnt have to pay for the van just for the ferry accross and i think fuel... how easy is this? it kind of sounds too good to be true in a sense... she said to just ring a few companies and ask them if they have any...

so i would appreciate any help on these questions as it is something we are really wanting to do but at the moment we are just weighing up the options

thanx in advance
steph x

2. Posted by squash6462 (Inactive 23 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Steph,

I've heard of the relocation van thing, but the catch is you have a certain time limit to return it, which means you won't have much time to see things. You usually have to the most direct route.

Don't know about the license things.


3. Posted by Jase007 (Respected Member 8870 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi there,
I hired a car in NZ a couple of months ago. I was only asked for the photo section, (just as well as i only had that part).
So, you might be ok.
E-mail the company to find out.
Enjoy NZ, she's a lovely country