Skip Navigation

canada work/holiday visa, please help

Travel Forums North America canada work/holiday visa, please help

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Canada
1. Posted by leo666 (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

hey everyone. I'm looking to go to canada to be with my girlfriend and need some help. I'm a UK citizen and have just returned from alberta after 4 weeks. i would very much love to work over there so we can be together(also for other reasons like being a lover of canada and canadians) but i am aware that work visa's are hard to get. What criteria do i need to pass to suceed? how do i go about applying? failing a work visa how do i get a holiday visa and how long do they last?how much money do i need to be able to support myself? is it a case of the more money i have the longer i can stay? i'm realy not a fussy guy when it comes to what kind of work i would do (although i didnt finish school so a few jobs are limited, ones that need a qualified person. I know theres alot of questions but i'm realy ignorant when it comes to something like this. Does it make things easier if i have an offer of employment before i apply for a WV? if so, how do i apply from over here? so many questions that i hope someone can help with. I'm hoping to be back over there before august

thank you to all who relpy to this :)

2. Posted by squash6462 (Inactive 23 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Leo,

I haven't looked too much into this, but if you're from the UK can't you get a working holiday visa?


3. Posted by helsbells1 (Budding Member 70 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I worked in Canada on a 12 months working holiday visa, it was all arranged through, they are really helpful. You don't need qualifications as you are basically a canadian for 12 months, it is the potential employer that is going to want experiance, not the people issuing the visa. You don't have to be a student either like you do for many other visas!
I had the time of my life and would recommend Canada to everyone!!!

4. Posted by leo666 (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

h squash, apparantly i can get a working holiday visa but i wouldnt know where to start, i've looked online but its so confusing :(

5. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Citizenship and Immigration Canada would be the place to start to figure out what type of visas you would be eligible for. For just a regular work permit, you need to get offered a job first, then you can apply for the visa. There are jobs where no visa is required, you should check on the list to see if you can apply for one of those (most likely not), but it's worth a shot.

Also, check out this site on UK citizens applying to work in Canada for some more specific information.

For a Working Holiday Visa, check out the details on the different programs here: Working Holidays for UK citizens in Canada.

Hey, best of luck on the whole thing. Everybody loves a lover!

6. Posted by lizard3754 (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


I am off to Canada for a year with my boyfriend very soon. We are going with BUNAC and they help you out with all the work authourisation applications, flights, insurance, jobs etc.

I looked around on the internet extensivly to find out our options and i found also that getting a work permit was too much hassle. If you get a work permit, you have to already have a job offer from an employer in order for it to be issued and as far as i am aware, when your job ends, you have to return home. I think its about £160.

With Bunac you don't need a job offer in order to go as it is a company based around travelling. It is about the same price as the work permit (£165) although you have to take out insurance as compulsary with them.
The max stay in Canada is a year, although i think all the places for 2006 have gone now (i had an update email off them recently) I think the ones for 2007 come out in december. Dont know if you can wait that long though. You can only go with bunac if you are 35 and under.

Alternativly you could get a visitors visa which is for a max of 6 months, however you wont be able to work with that.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, hope it works out.