Visa required??

Travel Forums Europe Visa required??

1. Posted by asmera (Budding Member 15 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Me and my husband are flying into the UK from Canada. We will travel around Scotland, Wales and England, and may be there for approx a month. Do we need VISAs to enter?

What about other European countries? I thought I read somewhere,that you need one for France if staying longer than 90 days..??...

2. Posted by farleyUL (Full Member 125 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I don't know much on the subject, but my family and I took a trip from the U.S. to the U.K as a graduation present for me in the summer of '03 and we needed them then. I'd imagine you'd probably need them now in most, or all, of those countries. Have fun!

3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If you are all Canadian citizens coming as tourists, you will all get an entry stamp into your passports, which will permit you to stay up to 90 days in the UK. If you aren't Canadian citizens, check with your nearest UK embassy. helps too.

France is another story, as it is a member of the Schengen treaty. If you cross the border from the UK to France you should get another stamp permitting you a free stay for 90 days out of a 180 day period in all of the Schengen states (= practically all of Europe), once again on the condition that you are Canadian citizens.

For any questions regarding Schengen visas, contact the embassy of the country you are going to spent the most time in, or alternatively the country into which you enter Schengen territory, France for example.

4. Posted by Javid (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

That's quite true, but there are other more permanent type visas for the UK. Such as the HSMP which allows you to work in the UK on a full time basis for. Othewise, contact the embassy in question. - good luck

5. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

As a Canadian, your best source of information (other than the embassy of the country you want to travel to itself) is the Consular Affairs site from the Canadian Government. Check out the ENTRY and EXIT requirements in the trip reports section for each country you want to go to.