Skip Navigation

help need advice!!!!!!!!!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific help need advice!!!!!!!!!!

1. Posted by jazzbrit (Full Member 98 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Can anyone reassure me that it is possible to get into Oz with only 2,500 aus dollars as I have been told by the lovely people who granted my working visa that I will need to prove that I have $5,000 aus when I land. I know it's a tad dramatic but I really, really want to come to oz and don't particularly want to land in Sydney and have to fly home the same day due to lack of funds. I'm flying out on the 10/05/06


2. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Do you have a working holiday visa? Then if so, yes, you may need $5,000


"You are required to possess a return ticket, or sufficient funds for a return fare. You are also required to possess sufficient funds for the initial stages of your holiday. Generally, AUD $5 000 in addition to funds for a return airfare may be regarded as sufficient to cover the costs of the initial stages of the working holiday"

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5235 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

However, no one on a working holiday visa that has posted here about it has ever been asked for their proof of funds. There's no way anyone can guarantee that the same would go for you, but if I were a betting man, I'd consider it a safe bet.

$2500 is on the low end of funds to have, so I'd recommend looking for work as soon as you get there - but you should still definitely be fine.

4. Posted by antthemanc (Budding Member 18 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Thankyou i keep reading posts were ppl are sayin they have 6/7/8000 and is that enough i was brickin myself as ive only got 2000 but am set up with a job when i arrive in 3 weeks so gonna graft for a few months then blow the lot and find work again try and save some for new years in sydney

5. Posted by lil j (Travel Guru 1303 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If you have a return ticket you are fine, i have and they didnt ask a thing. Apparantly if you have a one-way then you have to prove, just take a bank statement. I believe that 2,500 pounds should be fine.

Email the Australian immigration government. They usually respond within a few days.