Skip Navigation

Tax rebate for uk residents heading abroad!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Tax rebate for uk residents heading abroad!!

1. Posted by reemer (Budding Member 11 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


Im a uk resident heading to oz on a WHV in september.

As i'll have been paying tax from April 06 to the end of August 06 and won't be working in the uk for the rest of the tax year I should be able to claim a rebate of about £1300!!
From what info I can find on various tax sites I can put a claim in for this as soon as I stop working, ie I dont have to wait till the end of the tax year in April 07.

Has anyone else done this?
Have you had any problems?


2. Posted by Clarabell (Travel Guru 1696 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


I left in Jan 2005, and what I got back, was the amount from then up to the end of the tax year 04-05.

Unfortunatly I doubt you can claim until the end of the tax year, because its only then that you can say for sure you've not had any taxable income for that year. ie you could come back sooner and started work again.

You fill in a form with the details. If you have worked overseas, you need to provide proof of earnings etc, even though its not taxable. Its not as complicated as it sounds.

But if you have to wait until 2007 its not all bad, because you'll appreciate the money more!

3. Posted by kerryd (Full Member 19 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi there,

You can put in a claim as soon as your P45 has been issued but it may take a while for them to process (in my case 3 months). Just make sure you fill in the bit where it says you won't be working again before the next tax year. You can probably get your money a little quicker but being out of the country tends to hinder that!

You can download the form directly off the Inland Revenue site.

Good luck!