Skip Navigation

Planning to travel to Australia. Need some help

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Planning to travel to Australia. Need some help

1. Posted by Jkal (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I'm planning on traveling to Colac,Victoria in Australia to visit a woman I am very much in love with and plan to marry.I have a few questions which I need some answers for if you could help me.I'm not familiar with the Australian ETA "Electronic Travel Authority" even though I've read the site 100x and some of it doesn't make sense. Also I have not yet applied for a passport here and I was wondering if there is a length in which your passport has to be valid for in order to travel there.I'm aware that the ETA is valid for 3 months but if I choose to get married within that 3 month period will I be allowed to remain in the country once we are married?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Posted by sapphyre (Respected Member 418 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Jkal,

the ETA is basically a visa that allows you to enter Australia and is only granted to residents of certain countries as stated on the website. Which part of it didn't make sense to you?

Since you're travelling to visit your sweetie you'll have to get a tourism ETA that is valid for 12 months. But you can only stay there for 3 months from the time you enter Australia, so yes you'll have to leave after the 3 months and re-enter again. That's what I understand from it, maybe you can check things out with the Australian embassy at your side. Or if you do get married when you're there, you can try to get a job and apply for PR under your wife's name. This will probably involve some other administrative work that I'm not sure if it's allowed if you're on a tourism ETA.

Passports need to be valid for at least 6 months to enter Australia (and as a general rule, everywhere else as well).

All the best!

3. Posted by lil j (Travel Guru 1303 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

There are different visa's that you can get, check the website or like sapphyre said check with the embassy your side or phone them.

I know that if you have a partner and one of you doesnt live in OZ buts obviously wants to, that you can apply to be put on your parners visa but you have to prove that you've been seeing each other for at least a year (emails etc.) i'm not sure about if you get married over here.