Skip Navigation

i wanna go to canada..but..

Travel Forums North America i wanna go to canada..but..

1. Posted by chewin (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

My fiance and I lives in the U.S and we want to go to Canada to visit. He's a U.S citizen and I'm not. I'm a legal US immigrant, I have a SS card, Green card, Driver's license. I have everything except a passport and being a US citizenship. Can I still go or I need a passport or a travel visa???

2. Posted by mtlgal (Full Member 1179 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You'll need a passport from your country of citizenship and a tourist visa.

3. Posted by Lugor79 (Full Member 74 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Actually, if you look at the other post I made to a similar question. All you need to get into Canada is your green card and a passport (which can be expired). To get back into the US all you need is your green card before December 31st, 2006. After that you need a valid passport.


4. Posted by Peter P. (Budding Member 35 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Here are some links for you that may provide more detailled information according to which form of transportation you choose:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

VIA Rail Canada / Travel, vacations and train tours



  • *a program that streamline customs and immigration clearance for low-risk, pre-screened travellers.
5. Posted by SamSalmon (Respected Member 626 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Entering Canada is generally hassle free-re entering the USA often is not for someone in your situation-check carefully with US Customs & Immigration.