working in italy??? (or neighbouring country)

Travel Forums Europe working in italy??? (or neighbouring country)

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post This thread is marked as being about Italy
1. Posted by suprswee-t (Budding Member 4 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


im new here...actually im kinda new to the whole travel thing
(i haven't really travelled aside from family vacations/school trips). anyway i hope to change that this summer. im going to italy by myself in july to study italian (!!) but im wondering if there's any way i can work there in june to make up for some of the costs. what are the rules with this?

im very musical (play 3 instruments and have been taking formal lessons on 2 of them since i was 4). i can also waitress or even pick grapes...whatever!

problem: i can't speak italian (hence why im going to learn!). i have a little spanish (might help???)

hope someone can appreciate any tips on italy in general tho too!

thanks in advance,
sarah xxoo

2. Posted by kellytree (Budding Member 11 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

If you are from the US the answer is no you can't legally work here - unless you have a visa - you could try the WWOOF program or be an aupair for the summer to help with your costs. It is hard to get a job in a country where you don't know the language but not impossible!

3. Posted by suprswee-t (Budding Member 4 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

so if i was from a different country it would be different???

4. Posted by Peter (Admin 6632 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Not sure on the specifics in Italy, Sarah, but generally, as I understand it now, within the EU, Europeans can travel and work in all the countries without any special visas. People from outside the EU would need a working visa to work in Europe. It's the same for anyone travelling to the US and wanting to work there Of course, if you get the proper visa, you would be allowed to work. You should get in touch with the Italian embassy or consulate nearest where you live for the most accurate information on this.

If you're only going for a summer though, I would recommend you try to save up everything you need before hand - it would be a drag to have to work when there's SO many things to see!!

Cheers, Peter

5. Posted by r_beacroft (Budding Member 3 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I went to live in Italy 2 years ago. I`m English and had some frustrating paperwork to sort out, but had no problems attaining work legally. My american friend however, arrived and then aupaired for a while. This was done purely by word of mouth. The only thing I would say to you is that if you take on any work, if it`s not for a large company, you MUST make sure that you have an understanding on anything you think could be a problem. I`ve found the italians lovely people, but a lot will take advantage of you well unless you agree everything with them before hand.
Finding work waitressing or aupairing is easy if your easy-going. You just have to ask around, knock on doors.

6. Posted by gpucri (Budding Member 15 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

To legally work in Italy, you need a fiscal code, but to have one you must be a UE citizen or resident in UE or you must have a work invitation from Italy. So I suggest you to consult an italian embassy or a cultural or student exchange or try to stay au pair in a family.Otherwise you can try a "black work", but I advise against this;it's widespread but illegal and if police check you,you risk a big file. The language is not a problem.spanish is similar to italian. generally we don't speak very well english (as you can see!!),but we are warm and try to understand everybody. in 2/3 weeks you will speak italian. If you need more informations,write me.
Ciao!! stefano

7. Posted by pretenses (Budding Member 9 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi - I am planning on going to Italy next summer, and I too wanted to work while I am over there (I want to stay for 3-6 months, and there is no way I can save enough money to do so without working over there).

-Gpucri/Stefano: (These questions may need to be addressed by a consulate but I thought you might know) So you are saying that the only legal work that a US Cit. can do (in Italy) is being an Au Pair? Do you know if someone could do some other form of work while being a part-time AP? Or are the options pretty much limited? Also, could someone live in Italy temporarily and THEN get a work permit? Thanks for any help!

-You know you're in trouble when your surgen starts singing, "The leg bone's connected to the -(pause)- hip bone..."

8. Posted by gpucri (Budding Member 15 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I called the Police.If you want to come here only for tourism,you don't need a visa;if you remain here more than 3 months,you need a touristic visa;if you have the idea to search a work,you need a work visa.You can require a work visa in an italian embassy or in a Questura (police office)in Italy within 8 days.You can't change a touristic visa with a work one.In the embassy you can register to a work list.
It's rather complex.Try to call the embassy.
ciao. stefano
p.s.:i also study biology

9. Posted by gpucri (Budding Member 15 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

To require the work visa you must be resident in UE or have 2500 euro to prove you will not go to sleep on a bench in a station.Then you must have an health assurance,also if the sanitary sistem is free in Italy.
The police will take your print .

10. Posted by jlang (First Time Poster 1 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


Hey I want to tell you that all is not lost and you may not have to sort out all of the visa stuff now before you leave. I spent four months in Italy last fall in Siena and was able to land myself a job in a bar (where I learned quite a bit of Italian). If you are studying with a real-deal study program, then they will be hooking you up with a student visa. One cool part about that, which they hardly advertise, is that it comes equipped with a part time employment option. You do have to get a living permit however before you can get the work permit... which is a bit complicated, but definitely do-able. However, for most of the time that I was there, I was working illegally (because my paperwork hadn't cleared yet). The job I had started out as mostly bussing and washing dishes, but as my Italian improved so did my position. I say go for it! It is a lot like the United States, there are going to be people that will hire you under the table (expect lower wages, but hey, its work). Besides the soldi, the experience is unbeatable. Let me know if I can give you anymore specific advise.