Skip Navigation

Tax file number...

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Tax file number...

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by CharlieUK (Budding Member 5 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi there,
am planning on traveling to australia in july and have just sorted out my visa but am now having trouble with the tax file number. i have been on a couple of websites that have just added to my confusion by suggesting i get one then saying i have to be in australia to apply. i also am also confused about howmcuh getting a tax file number will cost, some websites have had no fee and some have quoted up to £30??
another thing i am not understanding is australian bank accounts, is this easier to sort out in england or australia?
any help on either subject would be hugely appreciated!!
thanks x x

2. Posted by Rach23 (Budding Member 55 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Charlie - you do need to be in Australia to apply for one go to and it gives all the info. Bank accounts I'm not sure with as I'm not there yet but I've been advised its best to open one over there. I've opened a nationwide account as they don't charge for cash withdrawels abroad so I'm sorted for the first few weeks and will then open an Aussie account over there.

3. Posted by CharlieUK (Budding Member 5 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi, thanks for your help,
have also just been told its free to apply for a tax file number if you do it over there although they'll charge you for appling from another country.
as for bank accounts have been advised to open one within 6 weeks otherwise you'll need points (driving licence etc) where as before 6 weeks you'll only need proof of ID.

4. Posted by Kristie79 (Full Member 225 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Charlie

You can sort out both your bank account and you TFN when you get to Oz.
You will have to go to Immigration anyway to get the working visa sticker put in your passport and they will give you all the info you need, phone numbers, email address and websites. These will not charge you.

As for bank accounts we sorted ours before we left but had to go into the branch anyway with our ID. The woman serving us said that it is a waste of time and money doing it from the UK because you can only get one sort of bank account.( This was ANZ Bank) All the ID you need to open a bank account is a Passport (they might ask you for an address but you can use the bank's address), dispite what all the websites say about having loads of ID, all you need is your passport.

Hope this helps

Kristie x

5. Posted by blitz (Budding Member 47 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

HI there Charlie,
I have an account with Citibank, and I know they offer a traveller's bank account that's set up before you leave..
Go to and look for the "Traveller Account". Looks like they have some sort of promotion on it too.

I think this is the one of the best bets for you, generally when opening a Oz bank account you need a "certain" type of friend that knows you for 1 year or more, such as a pharmacist, nurse, policeman, Justice of the peace, etc.etc.

So it think for overseas travellers you need to check out that. I know in Australia Thomas Cook travel organises bank accounts for ppl going ot the UK.. maybe ask your local office too?

6. Posted by Gidget (Budding Member 5 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Charlie,

As far as I am aware it is pretty easy for overseas visitors to open a bank account in Australia and you can access your overseas funds via Maestro/Cirrus.

Do not pay anyone to get you a tax file number. Go to the Australian tax offices website which from memory is

7. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Charlie,

You can't apply for your tax file number until you have landed in Oz and have cleared customs. Do it online the day after you arrive. You'll need an address to have it mailed to; it takes a few days. When you apply online you'll get a reference number. Keep that so that you can ring for your number instead of having to wait around in Sydney (that's if you're travelling on soon) for the post. As for bank accounts: I'd go with ANZ bank access advantage saver: lowest fees etc. All you need to open the account in the first 6-weeks you are here is your passport. You don't need a "certain" type of friend.


8. Posted by scattman (Budding Member 21 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Charlie,
Mate what are you still waiting for just get over to Oz and they'll sort you out. The only reason you need a tax file number is because of work. Even that, say you walk into the tax office in the morning, get your tax file application in, which is free. (Just take your passport with you and an address where you can collect your number from.) Whilst doing this you get a call from one of those job agencies, regarding work, you check in to that work place, and just show your working visa and tell them that you have just been to the tax office to apply for a tax file number, you'll get a job bro. Even the tax employment form gives you the option of "I HAVE APPLIED FOR A TAX FILE NUMBER" (Just tick the box).

As for bank accounts, I think ANZ is your best bet. Take a dollar coin with you and be cheeky to say that you have your passport, an address and add that you would like to open a bank account with a dollar coin. lol!! mind you I did that 3 years ago. Luckily the lady (I think she must be in her mid 40s or late that),found my smile to be a very charming one. Anyway, the whole point is get here and get straight into a schooner of VB. Cheers mate and good luck in OZ.

PS. Try boxing with a kangaroo while you're there.