Driving Licence

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Driving Licence

1. Posted by Cez (Budding Member 41 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi all

Just wondering if a paper driving licence is acceptable in Oz or is a Photo-Card licence necessary?



2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5296 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If it's a valid driver's license in your country, it should be accepted in Australia as well. (I think their only other requirement is for it to be in english or have an english translation available.)

3. Posted by blitz (Budding Member 47 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You will need to get an international driver's permit, plus bring your countries driver card.
For Australian's it costs about $25 and availble from our motoring associations, such as RACV or NRMA.

Check with your countries road licensing office how you can get one. Generally you'll need two passport sized photos, one for the permit, and one for the record. It generally only lasts a year.

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5296 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

According to this, an international driver's permit is only necessary if your license isn't in english.

It is compulsory to carry your licence when driving in Australia. If the licence is not written in English, an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an English translation must also be carried with your licence.

Also, here's a list of all countries which accept the IDP. If you take aware the countries where one is "recommended" (several of which I've been to, and none of which ever gave me any trouble with my Dutch driver's license), you end up with an IDP only being useful if you go to Africa, South America and South-East Asia.

[ Edit: Edited at May 6, 2006 4:48 AM by Sander ]

5. Posted by Purdy (Travel Guru 3546 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

We got an international driving licence in the Post Office last year and it cost under £10 plus a passport size photo! (This was in the UK!)