What type of visa do i need?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific What type of visa do i need?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by Laura2419 (Budding Member 3 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I've been looking into the visa changes and to be honest, they are making me more confused!!

I plan to travel to Australia next Feb/March. I will be spending around a year away from home but am not quite sure yet how much of this will actually be in Oz (want to see other countries too).

So what type of visa will I need? I am already thinkin that i will probably try for some bar work or such to help with the funding. How easy is this to do? Does everyone travelling try and get similiar jobs? I'm worried that I won't actually find anywhere taking people on?!

So if anyone can help, i'd be gratefuL!!

Laura x

2. Posted by aston_girl (Budding Member 4 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If you want to work in Australia then you need a working holiday visa. This will last a year starting the date you enter australia but you can leave and go back to australia as long as it is within that year. If you don't want to work and just want to stay a couple of months then a regular tourist visa will last between 3-6 months.

3. Posted by fiona79 (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

if you have been looking at the recent changes then you are probably better informed than most. You would know you can get the year long working holiday visa, and that each job cannot last for more than 3 months- but i hear that just changed to 6 months, making things a little easier.
Hostels are usually ok with employing people who are only there a short time. Also temp agencies- as you might only work 1 day doing photocopying or similar.
Jobs are sometimes posted in the hostels.
There is often fruit picking etc but it is slave labour. You will not MAKE any money- but you won't spend any either.

happy travels