Skip Navigation

How hard for USA citizen to "move" to Thailand?

Travel Forums Asia How hard for USA citizen to "move" to Thailand?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Thailand
1. Posted by webworldly (Budding Member 6 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I have heard about the periodic "border runs" that folks make....where they leave Thailand for just long enough to renew a tourist visa....and then retun for another 3 to 6 months.

But I also see a lot of posts and stories of American expats who live....and love Thailand. does one actually get "permission" to live there long term....without doing the border run / tourist visa renewal dance....and what are the timeframe, cost, and requirements involved in the process of being gievn permission to live there?

If it helps....I don't need to work in Thailand...and I can show enough US DOLLARS to not have to have a job in order to live.

So....timeframe, cost, requirements to get permission to live there long term. Can anyone help?



2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3580 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I will send you some info about Thailand in a PM.

3. Posted by zachary (Respected Member 471 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

i've stayed there for months at a time, then found that the max you could stay without visa was like 1 month or 6 weeks or something, at the airport 2 months later they noticed that i overstayed my visa, i just had to pay a fine

i've heard that if you were checked while in thailand (not in airport) that you'd go to jail, i have heard horror stories of that happening

just an fyi, try to make sure you have it all situated to fullest is my only advise ;) (looks like you're aiming for that anyways, but just some extra info just in case)

4. Posted by chorpet (Inactive 110 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi..I'm not a foreigner but I do the visa for my boss regulary.

Before he get work permit, i used to tell him to do the visa run at cambodia border and he told me that it's horrible. He almost had a fight with a guy there.

For your case, I would suggest you to apply for non-immigrant if you want to stay for a long term.

Probably you can check at the website of immigration office for more infomation.

Hope my answer would be any of help.


5. Posted by webworldly (Budding Member 6 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

The advice so far both here in the thread and via PM's from two very helpful dudes (thank you, guys!) has been wonderful.

Regarding making the choice between applying for a Non-Immigrant "O" or a Business "B" visa.....I have two questions even after reading through the rules on the official government site.

If I apply for a Business "B" visa.....and the request is turned I not able to then apply for an "O" visa?

I am 36 years my only option for some sort of long term non-business visa the one where I deposit funds in government bonds? If so, does anyone have "real life" experience on how that works out? Did you get your money back at maturity.....did you receive periodic interest payments over the course of the time your money was tied up in the bonds? What was the interest rate and how is it calculated/recalculated?

For the "B" and "O" I have to renew them out of country every 90 days (meaning paperwork and actual visit to a Thai embassy) or must I simply leave Thailand....step foot in another country...and then literally turn around and come back in to Thailand without visiting the Thai embassy in that other country?



6. Posted by chorpet (Inactive 110 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi again,

as far as i must renew the visa every 90 days and if you will leave the country, must apply for re-entry permit too. this re-entry can be done at airport.

okie...if you want to book hotel or tour, do let me sis own a travel agency here...


7. Posted by buzzard (Respected Member 187 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

There are dozens of companies in Bangkok that can give you advice and help you obtain a legal visa to stay in the country. The bottom line: if you've got the money, there is a way to do it. If you get a non-immigrant B visa and work permit (you can set up your own "company" if you want), you will not have to leave the country. Initially, it will require a few trips to the Immigration office in Bangkok (or the company can sometimes send a proxy rep - for an additional fee - and you can avoid the hassle of making the appearance yourself) before you have your full year visa in hand. Once you do, you have to "report" to the Immigration office every 90 days. No extra cost or photos required; you just have to show up, smile and show them you are still alive. And that's about it. The authorities used to no enforce this rule, but now they are being quite strict about it and you can be fined if you don't check in every 90 days. But if you do want to travel outside Thailand every 90 days, then the Immigration visit is not necessary.

8. Posted by chorpet (Inactive 110 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Well, if you will settle up a company and being an owner, there are many firm could help to do that. You will be MD of the company and the firm will find 6 more thai staffs to be share holder.

They will charge you about baht 50,000 approximately for settle up. As far as i remember when i consult with them to settle up another firm recently.

But it's not just that, you will have to pay them monthly about taxation things which cost around baht 5000 - 6000/month

Immigration will give you permission for non-b visa about 1 month for the first time, then 3 months and 6 months then 1 year. Each time, you pay for the visa about Baht 1,900 together with fee for the legal firm around Baht 30,000. Each time of renewal, you will have to show up at immigration office in soi suanplu together with document prepared by legal company.

So, think carefully about it. This is the real situation that I am doing for my boss. But I dont think there is any other tricky thing can do coz immigration is strictly nowaday..

Good luck