Skip Navigation

Electrical appliances

Travel Forums General Talk Electrical appliances

1. Posted by RJ Mc (Inactive 33 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I need to know about converters for American electrical appliances in Scotland. It has been a long time since I was there. Many of the places I have booked offer hair dryers, but not all. Are the electrical outlets standardized so that one converter will do the trick? What is a good kind to have? Where to purchase it? I am considering purchasing the appliances I need when I arrive. What about that idea? Any suggestions? - Rebecca

2. Posted by Jase007 (Respected Member 8870 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi rebecca,
The UK has a standard 240V three pin socket.
So you will need a converter (the U.S. is 110V if i remember).
have a look at this site, it'll give you what plug configuration you will be looking for:

World Plugs
You should be able to pick up the converters easily either in your local electrical store or at the airport.

Hope this helps.

[ Edit: Edited at Jul 10, 2006 5:38 AM by Jase007 ]

3. Posted by RJ Mc (Inactive 33 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Oh, thank you so much!!! I will check out the web site. You're a dear!