Skip Navigation

Maybe someone on travellerspoint can help

Travel Forums General Talk Maybe someone on travellerspoint can help

1. Posted by bbujol05 (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I'm hoping that some of you travelers can give me some useful info. Basically, my husband and I are looking to find legitimate work that can be done in multiple countries that will allow us the flexibility to travel and live most anywhere we desire. This may come off as vague, but we have SO many questions and no google search has been able to help us. So far, has been the biggest help. I guess the more important question for us to ask is how can we get to the point where we can travel as freely as it seems everyone on here does.

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I guess it is all about setting one's priorities right... and I don't think that many people here travel around freely; it is a conscious choice which entails not having a flashy career, a big house, kids, etc... What makes things easier though, I think, is that most of TP's visitors are relatively young, and appear in no hurry to start a career and/or family life.

Re suitable work for people who got struck by long-lasting travelling fever; there isn't, really. Only very few of us are successful enough writers, musicians and other artists to actually make sufficient money to cover our expenses. I personally opt to work at home, quit my job, and then travel; others believe in working while travelling, but your chances of finding a position that is worth getting out of bed for are slim. Unemployment rates in most popular travel destinations are high; their poor economies are one of the reasons why they're such popular destinations... if you're looking for LEGITIMATE work, things get even more difficult.

Sounds like your best option is becoming a successful international sales rep fast :)

3. Posted by bbujol05 (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I'm actually relieved to know that it is something that can be done by anyone. We were under the impression that you needed to be extremely wealthy to even get to the point where you could be a "nomad" (We would be if it were feasible). I know that may come off as naieve, but here in Texas people don't just talk about travelling extensively, nor do they seem to have any desire to. Oh and I'll be 20 on July 22 and my husband will be 30 next April...I'll assume that's young enough

4. Posted by flo jo (Respected Member 414 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Brooke,

It´s quite easy actually. If i take my example I work like a dog for a year or two try not to take holiday or just go and stay with family. Then when i travel I use public transport and a tent (ask local if i can pitch it in the garden much cheaper than camping). To eat am lucky am happy with a fruit or a salad which make it very cheap too.

Sorry no real solution but that Have been working for me. When i go travelling it´s minimum for six months so I only have to pay one return airfare.


5. Posted by bbujol05 (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I have to admit, it almost sounded as if you were being facetious, flo, but actually that seems like it's something worth considering. It's almost like I feel as if I have to finish all my work and studies before I can cut loose and go; I had been thinking that maybe I should work like that for a few years and take my trips in spurts...

6. Posted by sarahp (Budding Member 11 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi, was just wondering what kind of countries did you have in mind and how long would you like to spend travelling and how long would you be willing to study before hand. An easy one that alot of students do before travelling is a basic course in teaching English to foreign students, you could get work in language schools most places and those kind of jobs are never really long term anyway, if your thinking more along the lines of professional qualifications and longer stays things like accounting are always good, with the international accounting standards its virtually the same everywhere.

7. Posted by bbujol05 (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hey Sara,
Well I'm actually kind of in a state of indecision right now. This is what I'm looking at: I can either go to college for my degree in neuropsychology, partner with my husband in his entrepreneurial endeavors, or toss it all to the side and follow both our desires to make a life in a foreign country. I have to admit it's a little intimidating because we don't know ANYONE who has done it so we're starting from scratch. We check out all the time and pretty much figured it's the luck of the draw between Chile, Florianopolis, Brazil, Italy, Switzerland, or Provence, France. There are many others that we are interested in but the thing is that we're looking more for a permanant residence more than just a vacation. Hence the search for legitimate work. :)

8. Posted by sarahp (Budding Member 11 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Well Id imagine the more qualified you are the better, and Im sure that would help with getting visas etc. Not that travelling in itself isnt fulfilling enough but to be personally fulfilled you should have a career that you really want yourself and enjoy doing otherwise it may put a dampner on the whole experience. There is always time for travelling whether you move this year or in three years. Dont be so nervous about it either, I know its a big move and can be quiet expensive but if your there for a year and it doesnt work there is no shame in coming home, and at least ud have tried it. Just do what YOU want.

9. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Personally, I would go for that degree in neuropsychology. :) Once you have that, you can always relocate to another country for your post-grad and PhD studies. There really isn't a better ticket to world-wide work than highly qualified medical and science education. Once you have a PhD in science or medicine, every country wants you. There are special visa for doctors and sometimes nurses, exempting them from most requirements for a work permit.

BTW, if the travel bug has got you now and you need to get it out of your system, do a student exchange for a semester abroad.

[ Edit: Edited at Jul 22, 2006 5:08 PM by t_maia ]

Post 10 was removed by a moderator