Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific HAIRDRESSING QUALIFICATION IN OZ

1. Posted by stephan1e (Budding Member 8 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Dumb question for some, but I'm in need of the information and figured this was a good place to start.

We're travelling around the world with working visas for Australia.
I DONT want to go back home to my 9-5 boring office hours and I'd like to do something different that I'd never have considered before - so I'm thinking hairdressing.

Only I know nothing about it or where to start.

Can Backpackers on working visas attending third level education in Australia.
If so, how ?
Is it costly?
What other details do you need to qualify for a place on the course.
Where do you learn to be a hairdresser?
How long does it take to qualify?

Any info would be a starting point........ or if you don't have any information about it can you suggest other careers that might also be suitable for me to learn whilst I'm on my travels?

2. Posted by ujkle (Budding Member 42 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You could do it through TAFE , but I think you'd need a student visa. And it costs overseas students way more to study at TAFE than Australian students - or it did when I was there - so it may not be a viable option for you. Check out the link to international students on the site above and see though.

Toni and Guy appear to run courses as well, and they hire people on working holiday visas, so maybe that would be worth a try? Hairdressing is listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand list, so if you really like it here you could stay more easily. :)

3. Posted by stefwatts (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


There are a number of hairdressing courses available to international students throughout Australia - but none in Western Australia - you can study through TAFE or through private colleges towards a Certicate III or Diploma of Hairdressing Salon Management (inc Cert III) which is a two year course.

Costs vary but most are around A$10-12k per year - as you are an Irish citizen (assessment level 1 for student visa purposes) you would be able to apply for a student visa whilst you are in Australia. Once you start your course you can apply for permission to work which enables you to work for up to 20 hours per week while you are studying and full time in the holidays.

Courses at TAFE start February or July and private colleges have a number of intakes throughout the year.

Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like any further information