Claiming Tax Back (UK)

Travel Forums General Talk Claiming Tax Back (UK)

1. Posted by SCN (Budding Member 20 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hello all

We are setting off in 4 weeks for our trip. We are away for 4 months. Are we entitled to any income tax rebates? If so, do I need to apply? Contact the inland revenue to state that we will be away for 4 months? etc...or will they just review it in April?

Thanks for the help!:)

2. Posted by Anzxio (Budding Member 69 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Tax is so confusing isn't it? You're probably best off just phoning your tax office and asking :)

3. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5077 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I went to the US for three months in 1999, so obviously I wasn't working. They wrote to me about a year later to say that I had overpaid tax - I filled out the form they sent me and returned it and got a cheque back for £450. Ker-ching! :)

4. Posted by Jase007 (Respected Member 8870 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Depending on your earnings will depend on if you get a re-bate.

Last year i worked offshore for 4.5months and had another 6 weeks holiday - totals to about 6 mths out of the country, and guess what? the tax man told me i hadn't paid ENOUGH tax !!!! even though i was paying over £1600 in tax every month not to mention the 11% national insurance.

Get in contact with you local inland revenue office, they will let you know the ins and outs. But loopholes are usually found by accountants (something the taxman cannot tell you about).

5. Posted by aliyoung99 (Budding Member 56 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

after numerous phone calls to the Inland revenue i was told that if you are out of the country for more than six months of a tax year, you can claim tax you have overpaid back the minute you finish earning. I think the form is a p81 or p85 which you complete and send back to them along with all your p45's (if you move job a lot!) and they will work out your credit and (here comes the science) should send you a cheque within six weeks refunding all your overpayments! Oh and if like me you are a graduate and have been paying student loans payments you can also claim back all of them (if you earn under £15,000)

Cash back!