Cell Phones, Bank Accounts, Lifeguarding job, Income tax

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Cell Phones, Bank Accounts, Lifeguarding job, Income tax

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by 98uh (Budding Member 18 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Im a first time backpacker. Can anyone tell me how much a cell phone would be /month in aus. also what to do about opening a bank acount and the basics for setting myself up when i get there. Also is it easy to get a lifeguarding job or swim instructor job? I have all the cirtifications in Canada. Also, when working on a holiday work visa for an 18 year old, how much tax will be deducted from my pay check? also do i have to summit a tax return? Thanx

2. Posted by loanshark (First Time Poster 1 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


If you would like to get a mobile/cell phone in Australia, you can buy them at most supermarkets, service stations, departments stores, corner shops, post office etc. U can get what we call 'prepaid' mobile phones and they cost between AUD 100 - AUD 300, with call rates of basically of AUD 1 per minute.

As for opening a bank account, try Westpac as they have student banks accounts without any fees. I cant help you with tax, although we have GST like Canada which is 10 per cent on everything accept basic food (you can buy frozen chicken - no GST, but cooked chicken - pay GST).

Log on to www.careerone.com.au
or www.seek.com.au -- for employment

Hope that helps.


3. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Just to follow up; prepaid is definitely the way to go as a backpacker. You have no monthly costs in that case and only pay for calling, not for receiving calls. I think you'll find that every backpacker in Australia has one actually :)

Tax rate for backpackers is I believe 27/28%. Make sure you get your TFN (tax file number) pronto as if you don't have it, employers have to tax you 49%. It's a matter of just filling in a form and handing it in at a tax office so it's easy enough.

Tax rebates are a bit of a hot issue at the moment. It's aparently easier again than a few years ago. There are probably a few accountants that will be able to help you out with that, usually for 'free' (they take a cut of whatever you get back). A good one will most likely also be able to get you superannuation (retirement money) back.

The best thing either way is not to count on any money back; that way at the end of your trip if you do get any back you'll be able to live it up for a while

HTH, Sam