casual work on a travel visa

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific casual work on a travel visa

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by cagsy (Budding Member 3 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone,
my boyfriend and i wil be going to oz in November, we are going on a six month travel visa, and were wondering if our money dosen't last as long as we hoped, how easy would it be to get some casual work? would there be many risks involved as we will not have a working visa?
Any advice would be great thanks!!
Carrie x

2. Posted by Channon (Budding Member 7 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Carrie.

I work in facilitating international internships so my day is full of visa queries like this :-) It is in my experience with the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs that it is probably best not to work if you are not legally allowed to but i am sure that there will be a lot of people who will tell you otherwise.

I am not sure what your background is and if you have the option of using the working holiday visa but i am happy to provide you with further advice if you need or even line up some work for yourself and partner if you are interested in the hospitality or hotel industry.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if i can help further.

Kindest regards

3. Posted by isnoo (Inactive 77 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi Carrie,

Personally I would see about trying to get a working visa to cover yourselves if anything should happen whilst working.

I am sure you could get some work without a visa - however I wouldn't advise it as you would not be covered for any problems.

If you want to make your money last longer why not look into volunteer work such as WWOOFing. I am not sure if you can do it without a visa but have a look at this site (and others)and they maybe able to tell you or assist you.

with regards