IT Work? Visa? Fruit Picking?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific IT Work? Visa? Fruit Picking?

1. Posted by oslaue (Full Member 571 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

ill keep this short.

coming to australia on a 1 year working visa and i plan to extend this to a 2 year working visa.

is true that i got to do fruit picking within my first year? if i want to apply for the entended visa? can i not do this on my second year?

how is the IT industry? i got over 6 years in IT, consultancy / management specialising in automation testing / development?

any way of getting out of this fruit picking business? apart from the if i get a contracting job for 6 months, and they want to extend, can they just write a letter saying how much they love me and need me and that i cant do any fruit picking? problem sorted, i get 2 year visa and dont have to fruit pick...

what about new zealand? same crap there were i have to fruit pick as well?

any fruit picking jobs near a actual city? and not in the sticks...

look forward to your responses,

many thanks,

2. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

You have to do the fruit picking or similar work in your first year. If a company likes you they might sponsor you to stay longer, then again they might not like you so you will have to pick fruit.

It's not just fruit picking that gets you the 2nd year visa. You can do other hard and dirty jobs as well. Check out and do some research.

3. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Quoting majito

You have to do the fruit picking or similar work in your first year...

Huh? You have to pick fruit? Says who?

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5293 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If you want to apply for the second year working holiday visa, then you have to "have completed three months of seasonal work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa" url=]source[/url (< ERROR: the link title is too long!)

Aka, "fruit picking or similar".

oslaue: as someone who's done IT-work down under (web development), I'd say don't bother with the second year. Instead, apply for a working holiday visa in New Zealand as well. That'll give you two years total that you're allowed to work (one year in each country), and then you could conceivably spend 3-6 months in each country afterward on regular tourist visas, going back and forth.

[ Edit: Edited on Nov 28, 2006, at 9:12 AM by Sander ]

5. Posted by ygkjhg (Inactive 13 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hey guys

Most seasonal work is unfortunately 'in the sticks' because the reason the government is giving the second visa, is because there is a shortager of workers in rural areas. While not exactly big cities, some of the regional centres like Griffith, Bathurst etc where fruit picking jobs are nearby are quite nice.

There is no way you will qualify for the second visa if you do not complete the minumim equirement for seasonal work, even if you get an IT contract and they want you to stay. The rules are very clear on this. Think of it as windening your Aussie experience!

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please... ]