Skip Navigation

China money

Travel Forums Asia China money

1. Posted by fuzzypuppy (Budding Member 62 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I've heard that the Yuan is not internationally traded so we can only buy Yuan once we get to China, but what about the Hong Kong Dollar? Could I buy that in Canada?

2. Posted by maba (Inactive 227 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Yep, you are right about the Yuan. You will be able to draw the local surrency (Yuan) out at an ATM once you get there. Don't know about the HK dollar ! but we took some travellers cheques and cashed them at the hotel on arrival just to get started then used the ATM.

3. Posted by Degolasse (Travel Guru 823 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

There really is little point in attempting to get HK dollars in Canada. When you get to the airport in HK, go to an ATM and use your bank card. You really have no need for the money before then. You can take some Travellers Cheques just in case, as well as a visa card and maybe a bit of US Cash, but you will rarely need them. Once in HK you can sort out Yuans and you can use your ATM card in China as well.

4. Posted by Philymop (Full Member 110 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I got Yuan from a travel agent in Liverpool before going to China, you just have to order it before you go to collect it. Otherwise you can always use ATMs when you get there, or take travellers cheques to make sure you have some form of currency on arrival.