Irish WHV

Travel Forums Europe Irish WHV

Post 1 was removed by a moderator
2. Posted by canuckgirl (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I'm a Canadian currently in OZ on a Working Holiday Visa. I want to get the same type of visa to work in Ireland. From my brief search so far it seems to be a little more difficult than i thought it would be. First I'm not sure if i'm even able to apply while Im not in Canada which is a problem because i want to go straight to Ireland. and do i HAVE to go through a program like SWAP to get my visa. I would prefer to just apply online and it would be even better if i was nice and quick like the aussy visa which took about 12 hours to get approved. I find SWAP over-priced.
Does anyone have experience getting a visa for Ireland or getting a another visa while not in their country of origin??

3. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I got a visa, to work in Canada.
I also had to go through a program. It may have been SWAP. Yeah, and it did cost something.
I was only eligible, because i was a student, at the time.
When i went to the US, i also had to go through some kind of program, which would cost. I could not afford it, so ended up working illegally, in the US.
Maybe ireland uses the same kind of system, for giving foreigners work permits.


4. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Looks like Canadians need to go through SWAP for an Irish working holiday visa. Reference from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs website.

5. Posted by CarolM (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I see from the query above someone was wanting information about getting an irish WHV from outside there country. Im a kiwi in the UK and want an Irish visa without going home. Any suggestions?


6. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

You can't do it - a kiwi needs to be resident in New Zealand to apply for an Irish working holiday visa. Reference link arrived from link in my previous post.

7. Posted by Mr Gecko (Inactive 34 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

hi canuckgirl, in ireland the irish are permitted to get a 1 year working holiday visa to canada. this is an agreement between the irish and canadian government. the same i imagine would apply for canadians.

it only costs a couple of hundred euros.

however i know one of the conditions is that you must be in your own country of residence when applying and you must fly from canada to ireland, in your case you cannot fly from australia to ireland.

thats all i really know.

this program in ireland is ONLY available going through USIT and no other agency as USIT represents ireland as the national student organization / travel.