Greece Visa Extension??

Travel Forums Europe Greece Visa Extension??

1. Posted by aramasrose (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hey all!

So I hope someone can answer this question. I am going to Greece for 4 months, I know that I can stay there with out a visa for 3 months. But the embassy in Boston told me that I could go with out any visa and extend after 2 months. One of the people that I'm staying with told me that I had to have a paper visa, not a stamp to get an extension.?
SOO which is it? I have looked online but none of the sites seem to know anything!

I am volunteering in Corfu. And leaving next week.. quick answers PLEASE!

What are the requirements to an extension? any money involved?

Thankx for your help!!

2. Posted by theodoridi (Budding Member 38 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!


I know that Americans do not need a visa when travelling to any schengen country. But i think the maximum is 3months. So either you exit the country and reenter from a non schengen country; popping up to Turkey might help. The phone number of the US embassy in Athens is +302107212951 so that they can inform you of what you need to do and costs...

Ciao for now

3. Posted by theodoridi (Budding Member 38 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

a friend of mine just informed me that the embassy cannot issue an extension but the closest police station can. So after 2months have passed you should go to your nearest police station and ask for the foreigners/immigrants department. There they can extend your stay for another 2months....i think the process is simple but you should ask your friend what they might need as documentation so you bring it with you...

Bye for now

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

The process is simple - if you are decent in Greek (or have a very good translator) and can prove that you can support your stay. Your money will be the officials main concern in allowing you further stay.

BTW, the easiest way to go about it would be to go to the consulate in Boston and tell them that you are a student and intend to study for a semester in Greece. Get a student visa from the consulate valid for six months and you are all set. Just a thought.