Thailand, Laos and Cambodia Visas

Travel Forums Asia Thailand, Laos and Cambodia Visas

1. Posted by zasshu (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Looks like I'm going to go through with my plans to visit Southeast Asia after all. I have about six weeks to spare. Flights from Beijing have gone up to ~450USD but I guess that's what I get for waiting till the last minute. I have a few questions about Visas.

I've read that the 30-day entry stamps in Thailand will now only be issued if the traveler can prove he/she will be leaving within 30 days. I'll be arriving Jan20 and leaving Mar3, so a bit over 30 days. I also plan to visit Laos and Cambodia. Can I just get a single-entry tourist Visa and get 30-day entry stamps when I return to Thailand, or do I need a multi-entry visa?

I also figured I'd save time and potential headaches if I got my Laos and Cambodia Visas here in Beijing as well. It seems it's possible to apply for Cambodian Visas online. I'm not 100% sure of the exact dates I'll be entering the countries, though. Would that be a problem? Anyone have experience with the Cambodia E-visa?

I figure I'll arrive in Bangkok and head to Laos shortly after, spending 1-2 weeks there. Back to Bangkok by Feb9 to celebrate my birthday, then off to Cambodia for a week to check out Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh, then back to Thailand to spend the remainder of my break on the beach.

Any suggestions on a good route through the countries? Is Sihanoukville worth the time to visit? Would it be easier to combine the Laos and Cambodia leg of my trip so I'd only be re-entering Thailand once? I really should've planned this stuff out a month ago but here I am with two weeks left. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Posted by Skatty (Budding Member 25 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

For me, as a British resident, I have to apply for a special tourist visa if I want to spend more than 30 days in Thailand. This gives me 60 days in total. To qualify for this however I need to show my E-ticket to prove I have a flight that leaves Thailand before the 60 days are up.

I hope this sheds some light?


3. Posted by Oz2Asia (Budding Member 14 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

We renamed Sihanoukville - to Shitanoukville

4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3580 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Fly into BKK and accept the 30 day entry permit. Buy your Lao visa at the border and you get 15 days. It sounds like that will be enough. Get your Cambodian visa while in Vientane. I would then go down to Siem Reap and Angkor, get the 3 day pass; bus/boat down to Phnom Penh, 3-4 days; bus to Sihanoukville. After your beach time, boat from S'ville to Koh Kong, into Thailand on another free 30 day entry permit. Thailand now lets you have 90 days in a 6 month period using the free 30 day entry permits. Van up to Trat, Koh Chang if you like more beach, Pattaya for wild nightlife, back to BKK.

Send me a PM if you want additional help. I have many photos in my gallery that may help you decide on where to go. Good Luck.

5. Posted by masterblaster19 (Full Member 119 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I am flying into and out of bangkok 2 and a half months apart. The travel agent told me that i need to prove i will be leaving the country within 30 days. how do i do that? She said i can book a hotel or something and then cancel it (will i get a full refund?). will i have to show the authorities a email confirmation or something on my arrival in bangkok? I dont really get the whole thing.

6. Posted by Skatty (Budding Member 25 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hiya Jenny:)

You only have to prove your leaving the country after 30 days if your goin on just a holiday visa. In my case I'm staying for 49 days so I have had to apply for a tourist visa which covers you for 60 days. I'm sure you could apply for an extension on this but you will probably have to look on the internet for your local Thai Visa Embassy.

The best way to prove your leaving the country on a certain date would be to show them you return airline ticket.