help i dont want to go home.

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific help i dont want to go home.

1. Posted by taff (Budding Member 9 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

My brother has 11 months (done fruit picking) left on a whv and wishes to become a permanant resident in Australia, his qualifications do not meet the skilled employment list. Can residencey still be gained without any qualifications what so ever, providing that an employer is wiling to sponser in an unskilled job?

All advice will be much appreciated! thanks.

2. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Another option if the one you mention isn't possible would be to marry an Australian and then you could apply for citizenship. I think you have to be married for two years or it may be a little more before you can retain your citizenship. Still this can happen and best of all Australian women often can be pretty nice women and certainly far nicer than those bitchy ones you have a lot of in the UK (not saying all women in UK are like that, but a fair few I came across were). Good luck.

3. Posted by wotthefiqh (Inactive 1447 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I would be very surprised if the Oz government offered permanent residency to a person on a temporary WHV without the applicant having desired skills needed by Australian industry.
That would open the gates for every backpacker with a WHV to try the same, and that would run into thousands of applications.
Marrying an Oz girl may be the only way to go, or try it in NZ then migrate to Oz after a few years.