lense to take to Italy

Travel Forums Travel Photography lense to take to Italy

1. Posted by italy_07 (Budding Member 22 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

I'm going to be going to europe in feburary and would like to take my Canon AE-1 camera with me. I also have 2 lenses, a large 50mm telophoto which i think zooms up to 300mm but i'm not sure. I also have the standard lense that came with the camera. Which would be better to take with me to Italy? I want to have the most versatile one but i'm not sure exactly which one that is.

2. Posted by Anzxio (Budding Member 69 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

The most useful, for landscapes, buildings, etc... is something wide. An ideal lens for you would be something in the 28-70 area :) The 50mm (i assume this is what you mean?) is ok for a standard lens, but you might find it's not wide enough for landscapes.

It all depends on what you want to take photos of. If you could let us know that then we could advise you properly. You could always pick up a different lens if you wanted to. They're not expensive second hand :)

3. Posted by Q' (Travel Guru 1987 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

The front of the lens should have a number with a "-" in it. Your lens should say 50-300mm if it zooms to 300mm. Otherwise check the rings on your lens. There should be 2 rings. One will have strange decimals (2.8, 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, etc.). That's the apperature ring. If your not sure what to do with the apperature, set it at 8. That's the sharpest setting of your lens. The other ring should have nice round numbers like 50 or 300. That's your zoom range.

The standard lens on most SLR's is something like a fixed 50mm. So for range I would suggest taking your zoom. Travel presents all kinds of different shooting situations. You're best taking a flexible lens like a zoom rather than a fixed focal length lens.