Skip Navigation

Sending 14 year old daughter to Spain with mother-in-law...

Travel Forums Europe Sending 14 year old daughter to Spain with mother-in-law...

1. Posted by semk (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

they are leaving in June on a "group tour package".

I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row - passport apps, visa apps, minor child w/out parents paperwork, etc.

But the Schengen Visa has me confused. Is that just for non-US citizens to be concerned about? Both daughter and MIL are US citizens - their only stop will be in London to change airplanes, and then Spain for the 10 day tour.

Any advice on sending me teen alone out into the world with granny?? Suggestions would be MUCH appreciated...and help on making sure I'm doing all I'm supposed to be doing right now!

thanks a bunch!

Gilbert, AZ

2. Posted by Dem (Full Member 78 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!


US citizens do not need a visa for coming into the Schengen space, just the passport.

You may find very useful this official EU site about traveling inside Europe:

Besides that... I hope they have a great time in my country... jeje... I think it's beautiful and fun enough!


3. Posted by Herr Bert (Moderator 1388 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

For non-EU citizens
You will need a valid passport.

There are 33 countries whose nationals do not need a visa to visit the EU for three months or less. These include three candidate countries — Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania (but not Turkey) — as well as Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the United States. The list of countries whose nationals require visas to travel to the United Kingdom or Ireland differs slightly from other EU countries. If in doubt, check with the nearest consulate of any EU country.

If your visa is from a country fully applying the Schengen rules, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. Moreover, if you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit Ireland, the United Kingdom and the new member states.

More information about travel rights for non-EU citizens and visa requirements, including a list of countries whose nationals require a visa for travelling in the EU.

So don't worry a valid passport is all you need.

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Don't forget insurance.

You definitely need international health insurance that not only covers cost of medical treatment in Europe, but also covers the cost of medical emergency transport home. If due to an accident or an illness the return flight(s) needs to be rescheduled, this possible extra cost should be covered too. And both Granny and your teen should be allowed to fly home together no matter what!

If something happens, you don't want your loved ones to be stuck in Spain. Watch out that the insurance company is able to offer assistance in Spain - calling collect or toll-free to the US is minimum as is the ability to arrange all aspects of return to the USA.

The travel agencies organising the guided tours often offer insurance cover packages tailored to their tours. They are usually ridiculously expensive compared to what you find when you shop around, but they can be life-savers for inexperienced travellers. Read the fine print carefully, then order the insurance along with the tickets from the travelagent.

[ Edit: Edited on Jan 28, 2007, at 11:09 AM by t_maia ]