chinese visa

Travel Forums Asia chinese visa

1. Posted by lorenz (Budding Member 16 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

my travel agent in Austraia said that china only issues 30 day visa but I want to stay 40 days. the agent also said that I could get an extension once I was in china. does this sound right?

2. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Hi Lauren,

According to the Chinese National Tourist Office in Sydney, you can apply for a multiple-entry visa that is valid for 3 months.


If you would like the flexibility to enter and exit China several times during your trip, a multiple-entry visa is also available as an alternative to a standard single-entry tourist visa, which is good for 3 months. Your passport must be valid for 4 months beyond the term of the single-entry visa. You'll save money by allowing normal processing time for your visa, about 4 working days, although faster service is available.

The best way to confirm this is to contact the Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China (Visa & Authentication).

3. Posted by ellyse (Full Member 195 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Definitely no problem getting an extension for your 30-day visa anywhere in mainland China, except in the Tibet Autonomous Region.

4. Posted by Philuk (Budding Member 20 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

I don't think it will be a problem as I picked my visa up yesterday and was granted a 60 day single entry visa. So i think 40 days should be okay!


5. Posted by daphnemaia (Full Member 155 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

if u are not granted 40 days instead of the usual 30 days, u can extend it at any immigration office in china... im not sure if there is a fee - i doubt it though.

6. Posted by Gelli (Travel Guru 2457 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

I've had Chinese visa's extended a couple of times, and it's easy enough. You need proof of where you are staying (any hotel/hostel/guesthouse will give you this), a photo and a form to fill out and it normally costs a small bit, but is easy enough, Most PSBs are used to foreigners and most have somebody that speaks at least some English as well. Th eonly thing to note is that the extensions start the day that you get them done (you leave your passport for a day or two), NOT from when your existing visa ends, so try and do them near the end of your visa validity if possible. You can also get extensions with an entry as well (meaning you can leave China and return)

EDIT - It looks as though things have changed a bit since last year when I was there. At that time, the standard tourist visa was valid for entry within 3months, but only for a 1month stay in China. I had 2 double entry visa's which were valid for 3months, but I was only allowed a one month stay in China each time, without getting an extension. Check the exact wordings to make sure you don't get caught out

[ Edit: Edited on Feb 23, 2007, at 9:53 AM by Gelli ]