RSA and RCA certificates for bar work

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific RSA and RCA certificates for bar work

1. Posted by lee851 (Budding Member 6 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi, i'm going to Sydney in April. I have a working holiday visa as I am intending do some bar work. Does anyone know whether RSA and RCA certificates are essential for serving alcohol? Where do I apply for them? Also, is it difficult to get bar work over there?

Thanks you in advance!! Lee

2. Posted by austind (Budding Member 11 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Any decent bar in Sydney will require certainly an RSA and possibly an RCG license. The laws on the serving of alcohol are really strict so any bar caught with an employee without an RSA are likely to face serious fines. The RCG can be done on the same day as the RSA and if you do them together you get a reduced price. The RCG is required if the bar has a gambling area which many do. Bear in mind the RSA and RCG is only applicable for NSW and you may need to do another type of license in other states. I think the cost for the 2 combined is about $140 which works out at about 50-60 pounds.

I think bar work is fairly easy to come by but you will need a resume for most places and its a matter of putting yourself out there. There are that many bars in Sydney it is likely at least one bar will need an extra hand!

3. Posted by worldwideG (Respected Member 117 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

hi lee, i think you are allowed to start work in a bar providing you complete the course within 30 days of starting employment. so it may be possible to start work and undertake the course a little later. the info from austind is correct. i had a look on the internet and came across this information on one of the RSA websites. i have to find some bar work in sydney asap too! i arrive in sydney this week and plan to "research" the bars! enjoy oz, pete