Skip Navigation

Jobs in Cairns??

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Jobs in Cairns??

1. Posted by katie-lou (Budding Member 26 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone,
Im a 26 year old girl travelling to Cairns alone, due to arrive about the 15th June. Does anyone know what is the best way to get a job when im there, and how easy/difficult it will be?? Is there any way of arranging a job before i get there or is it best to just do it there?? What type of jobs are most popular? I do have some savings but am keen to get a job fairly quickly before travelling down to sydney a couple of months later. Also, does anyone know the rules for tax whilst you're out there??
Thanks, Katie

2. Posted by Fun Bobby (Budding Member 115 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

A Tax File Number maybe obtained from the Australian Taxation Office. For further information and online service visit the ATO website (
If you fail to provide a TFN you will be taxed at the highest rate.

3. Posted by AndyB24 (Respected Member 167 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hey Katie, LOTS of hospitality jobs in Cairns, especially around the time your going. I'd suggest doing a bar course, or basic hospitality before you arrive, then just look in the local newspaper. Is always heaps advertised in there.

Kind of hard to organize one before hand, as a lot of people say they are coming, then don't turn up. I got a job there at the first place I walked in to. So don't be afraid to find a busy looking place and just ask if they have work.

Also a heap of work for nurses, they've been bringing them in from the UK/NZ to cover the shortages. Knew a guy who worked at the hospital who said they were 100 short when I was there.

Hope that helps.

4. Posted by Emmalineau (Full Member 94 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi Katie -

Definitely bar work or waitressing (if that floats your boat) is the way to go. Heaps of Aussies go north for the winter so it's pretty busy, though not as many tourists so you should be able to find work pretty easily. However, to work in a bar you'll need an RSA (Responsible Serving of Alcohol) Certificate. This site should give you some clues....
You'll find it pretty easy to get a TFN - most places are on the books these days (cash jobs are very few and far between). I think you can even apply for a TFN from overseas, if you know where you'll be staying when you get here.

Good luck!