Working on a UK Passport

Travel Forums Europe Working on a UK Passport

1. Posted by Kimberley1 (Budding Member 15 posts) 17y Star this if you like it!

Hi All,
I'm off to Europe and the UK in May on my OE, and i've got a quesiton about my passport. My dad's from England, so i've got a UK passport, and I know this means I allowed to work in Europe and the UK without a visa.
But i was wondering what the next step is when arriving in the country and i'm looking for work? Do i need to get a IRD number or something similiar to be able to work/pay tax etc before I can actually start?
Or do i get one of those when i get a job? (Dont think this is the case)

I'm hoping to work in Greece or Italy for six months before heading over to Scotland, and was wondering whether it's different in differnet countries.
Thanks for your help! :)


2. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 17y Star this if you like it!

Hello Kimberley

For most/all countries, there is a number u will need for tax paying purposes. How to get it, is different in different countries. Ask your employer, when u get a job or ask the tax office, in the particular country, before u get the job.

After u get the tax number, make sure there is nothing else u need to do. For example, in Ireland they have a thing called emergency tax. They charge this, if u do not fill in a certain form, at the tax office. This means, that they take a very large amount of tax, from your wages, and then u have to go to the trouble of claiming it back.


3. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5078 posts) 17y Star this if you like it!

You'll need a National Insurance number to work in the UK.

Unfortunately, you can't just apply for one anymore - you will need to find work and have your employer write you a letter stating that he or she requires a National Insurance number for you. I don't understand the logic of this myself as you will definitely need the number but that's the way it is.

Where in the UK do you plan to work?

4. Posted by Kimberley1 (Budding Member 15 posts) 17y Star this if you like it!

Hi mikeyBoab and Mel, thanks for your replies :)

mikey, i'm probably going to be heading your way eventually up to scotland to work, after i try my luck at working in Italy or Greece. Depending on how that goes :) But scotland seems a lot more appealing than london, where most Kiwi's and aussies head. And from what i've seen of scotland, its going to be great. :) Would you happen to know what the system is for getting a National Insurance number there?

And Mel, thank you for your help. It does seem very strange that every country has its own system of doing things, but oh well :) So if im hoping to work in say...Italy for six months, I know i've got to go fill out some forms of residence at the police station, then need to get a tax number. Cool.
humm, this looks like it could be a challenge... even better! :)



5. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5078 posts) 17y Star this if you like it!

You need to apply to the Department for Work and Pensions.

Check this link out.