Where do I start???!!?!?!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Where do I start???!!?!?!

1. Posted by Dee1984 (Budding Member 4 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hey guys!

Ok, Im fed up with rainy England so I have decided to go live with family in Auckland .... only thing is I dont know how long i want to go for! Id ideally like to go there and see how it goes without being tied down to a return date.
I want to get a job out there and work whilst living there. Then before I go home, travel around etc. Should I get a working visa or a work permit or working holiday visa???? im so confuuused! Im sure its not that hard but ive read so much info on the net that ive over loaded!

Would be great to hear some advice from experienced people!


2. Posted by Noname2018 (Full Member 126 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi Dee,

If you want to work while you're out there I think you'll have to apply for your Working Holiday Visa. This will allow you to stay for up to a year, which you might aswell do as a year passes very quickly and there's plenty to see and do in New Zealand! If you decide this then you can buy a return ticket which will last for 12 months - so you can stay for the whole year if you like or return within these 12 months. Hope this helps! PM me if you need anymore advice on working and living in New Zealand :)


3. Posted by Dee1984 (Budding Member 4 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Thanx Emma!

Thats cool then! Do you know if theres any restriction to how much of that year I can work for if i have a holiday work visa thing? and am I ok to get a bar job etc?

Thanx again!


4. Posted by ikey (Full Member 172 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

If your fed up with rainy England then why go to Auckland?

5. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

You're absolutely fine to get bar work whilst on a working holiday visa .

United Kindom Citizens' working holiday scheme allows 9000 young citizens of the United Kingdom annually to be issued with work visas authorising employment for a maximum of 12 months in NZ.

To be eligible for a work visa under this scheme, applicants must:

  • be British citizens resident in the United Kindom at the time of applying, and
  • aged between 18 and 30 years, and
  • not accompanied by any children on your visit.

How to apply?

To apply for one of the working holiday scheme places you must provide the following information::

  • a British passport (valid for two years and four months from date of application).
  • a completed working holiday scheme application form.
  • the correct application fee.
  • satisfy the NZIS branch in London that your main intention for travelling to New Zealand is to holiday, and that employment is an incidental reason for the visit.
  • have a minimum of NZ$4200 available funds for maintenance.

evidence of your return or onward tickets, or sufficient funds to purchase an outward ticket (approx NZ$2000.00).

  • provide a stamped self addressed envelope for the return of your passport.

Where to apply?

You should send your application to the New Zealand Immigration Service Representative in the United Kingdom:

New Zealand Immigration Service
NZ House
80 Haymarket

Office hours:
10am-3:45pm Monday to Friday

09069 100 100 National (calls charged at 1.00 pound per minute.) +44 13 44 71 61 99 International

Requests for application packs are to be made using the above telephone numbers.

More information on the Working Holiday Scheme:

You do not need an offer of employment to apply for a working holiday scheme visa.

You must arrive in New Zealand within 12 months from the date of issue of the visa

You are able to enter and exit freely during your 12 month period. Please remember however, that your permit is valid for 12 months from the initial date of entry, for multiple journeys. The 12 month period is not accumulative.

You may not undertake permanent employment in New Zealand.

You will not be eligible to return to New Zealand for a further working holiday under the scheme.

You MUST have your return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase one, and your travelling expenses. You CANNOT be sponsored by a New Zealand Citizen or Resident instead.

You must allow at least 3 weeks for your application to be processed.

More info at:

6. Posted by Dee1984 (Budding Member 4 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Wow, thank you Koalagirl!

Thats exactly what i needed! How exciting! Cant wait.

ikey - have you been to England recently? we had snow and hail this week! lol. not nice! Im hoping NZ isnt quite as bad! :)

7. Posted by ikey (Full Member 172 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Fair enough Dee, my only advise then is to wait until about October before you make the move, otherwise you will be swapping the English summer for the New Zealand winter.

8. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hail and snow? ewww! :(

Hope that NZ is a little better! I agree with Ikey - wait until the end of the English Summer before making the move... you'll appreciate the weather change a whole lot more.