Skip Navigation

OZ customs - return flight???

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific OZ customs - return flight???

1. Posted by welshdrago (Budding Member 7 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

just wondering if anyone can help i need a return flight out of australia before i enter the country, or can i just book it when i am out there?
would appreciate some help, cheers guys!..jack

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5236 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

If you're going on a working holiday visa, you can just book it while there (technically you need to show additional proof of funds for this, but they never ask).
If you're just going on a regular tourist visa, I think you need to have the flight out already booked, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

3. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you should definitely get either a return ticket or an onward ticket to be safe, unless you are coming on a working holiday visa. Australia and the UK are very similar with the laws and stuff regarding entry. I know an Australian citizen/passport holder who only a week ago got a one way flight to London and then when the person got all the way to London the immigrations people sent her arse packing on a later flight the same day. She got taken to a room and interviewed for ages, but because she was a qualified nurse and didn't have a working holiday visa they considered her a risk for working illegally so refused her entry.

Young people from the UK would probably get the same treatment arriving in Australia with regards to them being very suspicious of your reasons for travel if you didn't have a working holiday visa. If your profile is correct and you are only 18 then they'd definitely consider you a greater risk of breaking the rules of your visa. If you are coming just as a normal tourist rather than on a WHV, then I wouldn't risk not having an onward ticket. It'd suck so bad if you got all the way here and got turned back when you only had good intentions in mind. If you are coming on a working holiday visa then you should be fine without a ticket, but I'd carry proof of funds because if anyone is going to get asked about having proof of available funds, it'd be someone of your age.

[ Edit: Edited on Apr 1, 2007, at 1:46 AM by aharrold45 ]

4. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

It depends on your travel arrangements.
If you don't have a history, customs may not ask fot it. However, they may want to talk to you for a different reason (the way you look/ are travelling).
If you don't attact their attention, you probably will be fine. As long as your visa is all good. If you overstay your visa you will be prevented from entering Australia for at least 3 years...that is if you can get a visa again.
If you attract their attention, you can bet it that you will be referred to immigration and then you will have trouble.
So if it were me, I would just purchase it. But if you think that you can convince them then wing it. As I said what the determining factor will be is whether they want to talk to you. That depends on so much, but unfortunately I cannot tell you what those factors are.

5. Posted by welshdrago (Budding Member 7 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

cheers for the advice guys, looks like im gona have to get a return!..ahh well neva mind

6. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

you could get an onward ticket like to Christchurch on Jetstar. If you paid for the Jet Flex type of fare (not the cheapest one), it is fully refundable except you have to pay a charge of $30AUD. If you got that ticket for something like $400AUD then the day after you got in to Australia you could just cancel the fare, cop the $30AUD cancellation fee you'll get charged and then you'd have $370AUD back out of the $400 you would have paid for the ticket. $30AUD wouldn't be much of a price to pay if it meant you wouldn't get sent back because you only had a one way ticket on a tourist visa.