Skip Navigation

Last Post This thread is marked as being about USA
1. Posted by Nixxy83 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I am currently staying in North Carolina on the visa waiver program and i am going to have to go home on the 16th May but i do not want to, i help my friend look after her kids and i was told i might be able to get a work visa working for them as a nanny or get a visitors visa or something, could someone please help me because i do not know much about visas.

2. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I highly doubt you'd get a work visa as a nanny because in most situations unless you are a student you need a highly qualified job or a sports person, movie star to get a work visa being from the UK. In most cases as a UK Citizen you'd need to apply for a visa back in the UK.

According to the US Immigration website it says that
you may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States on (VWP) - Visa Waiver Program. This would be what you would have entered the US on.

You could also check out

Even if you were to go to say Canada, Mexico or one of the neighbouring Islands and re enter, you'd more than likely be refused entry due to having already spent 90 days in America. If you left after 70 days went to Jamaica for 5 days and came back, you'd normally only be given another 15 days even though you were out of the country for 5 days. So unless you have a highly needed qualification I don't like your chances. Goodluck with it.

3. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Quoting aharrold45 ...highly unlikely!

Whatever you do, do not tell anyone that you have been working there...INS will have you deported faster than you can say Big Mac.

You can get a work visa but it is a long process. You either need to be of a profession in demand (nurse, teacher, doctor, etc):(

You may also get a visa if you can get a sponsor. A sponsor will need to be a US corporation or citizen who will 'sponsor' your employment, give you work. They must also satisfy living conditions and provide housing etc. Complicated area, and would suggest researching it more. Not sure about the nanny thing....must be plenty of carers there...but if it is a friend I guess they could argue that they 'trust' you with their kids and that you care for them in return for boarding???? No idea, do some research, but any idea of simply getting a work visa being easy is not true.:)