is my trade reconised for citizenship in oz?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific is my trade reconised for citizenship in oz?

1. Posted by redmrblond (Budding Member 9 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Im in the process of sending away my passport application then applying for a WHV for oz. I am a Canadian citizen.

I went to school about 6 or 7 years for " 4th class power engineering" i have been doing this trade here in Alberta Canada ever since i graduated. Basically work in a plant atmosphere using high pressure boilers for making steam, running large motors, pumps, air compressors, electric generators, etc.

Im just not sure if my ticket it reconised world wide.

Anyone know of any companies that has anything to do with crude oil or refining crude oil in oz? Thats what i do now but my ticket is for any heating plant, power plant, oil plant, etc. Anywheres where steam boilers are used. How about the mines? Any steam being used there for any reason?

i have safety courses such as, H2S Alive, first aid, confined space, TDG (transportation of dangerous goods), fall arrest, Gas testing, WHMIS, ground disturbance, skid steer ticket ( bobcat ) etc.

Sorry for the long winded thread,


[ Edit: Edited on Apr 15, 2007, at 8:48 PM by redmrblond ]

2. Posted by AndyB24 (Respected Member 167 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I'm sure there are places that could use your skills, but not a lot, and there would probably be a long interview process for refinery jobs-Shell and mobil have refineries that I know of, prob many more.

You might find work in the earth moving industry with your bobcat ticket. There are a lot of driving jobs around.

Or possibly in the mines running crushers etc.

3. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I would look on recruiting websites

There is a huge skilled workers shortage there at the moment, I'm sure you would get a visa for that. They are importing alot of workers (particularly welders) never know!!

4. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

If you want to be sure about how your Canadian qualifications compare to Australian qualificaitons, and to check what qualifications are recognised here in ooz. Contact the AEI.

The Australian Education International (AEI), through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications. This aims to help overseas qualified people work and study in Australia.