Skip Navigation

working in USA

Travel Forums North America working in USA

Last Post This thread is marked as being about USA
1. Posted by hswa (Budding Member 10 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi guys

I know this is a travelling forum but just wondered if anyone knew of how i could obtain a visa to work in Chicago as i am so desperate to work there!

Sorry :)

2. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Getting a work visa depends on a whole load of things... your profile says you're in UK, so I'll assume you're a UK citizen...

There are a few options for getting a work visa for the USA:

1. The easiest way is probably to get a short-term J1 visa.
This visa is for people who have been accepted into a program through a designated sponsoring organization to participate in an exchange visitor program in the U.S. The "J" visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs. Most commonly the J visa is issued if you go to work at a Summer Camp or Seasonal Snowfields job. You can get a J visa by contacting BUNAC.

BUNAC's work abroad programmes offer individuals between the ages of 18-35, the unique opportunity to work or volunteer abroad. BUNAC offers a wonderful opportunity for someone to spend extended time living and working in another country. To be eligibile for the US you must be Must be 18 years old by June 1st, be a current Full Time Student at a UK University on a Degree level or HND course or the equivalent and returning to the same course or demonstrate enrolment in another degree level course programme upon returning from the USA.

2. If you have specialist skills, you can get a job with a US Company who can then sponsor you based on your specialist skills (H-1B Visa)
Generally, the H-1B visa is designed to enable US employers hire foreign workers in specialty occupations on a temporary basis. A specialty occupation is one that requires (a) the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and (b) the attainment of a bachelor or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States of America.

3. Green Card - yep marry a US Citizen!!

In all cases - I'd definatley check out the US Department of State website to get more info.

It will ultimately come down to what type of work you are looking for, what your skills are and what your own personal circumstances are.

3. Posted by hswa (Budding Member 10 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Thanks that has definately given me something! :)