Skip Navigation

1. Posted by tricky (Respected Member 323 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Is there one hostel card that gets better discounts than the others? Or do all hostel cards work at all hostels. Excuse my ignorance on this issue. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

I was looking at the international hostel website and there is an office in Stirling in Scotland so I would have to call them to get it but I want to know if it would be the best one.

For instance, 2 hostels I have seen where I will be booking are Mellow Yellow in Rio and Tango in Bs As.

One more question ... do my wife and I both need a card or will one suffice for the 2 of us?

Again, thanks for reading and ANY comments appreciated on hosteling discount cards.

ps. I will be in SA for 6 months so will be using a large amount of hostels.

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5235 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hostel cards are "membership" cards. This means they give discounts at the hostels belonging to the organization you become a "member" of. Different organizations give different discounts, but the price after discounts often works out to be equivalent, and what's more important is if you like the atmosphere at the hostels of the organization you join. As it's a membership, you'll each need a card.
Based on the office you were looking at, the sYHA (the scottish hostelling international) might have its main office in Stirling, but you can buy a membership at any of their hostels (so there's a decent chance one will be closer by), online on their website and usually (but that differs per country) also at places like tourist offices.

[ Edit: Edited on Apr 24, 2007, at 9:03 PM by Sander ]

3. Posted by samsara_ (Travel Guru 5353 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi Tricky

YHA cards are widely accepted around Argentina and Chile. I only stayed at Mellow Yellow in Rio, and as far as I recall they were no HI affliated.

Tango is HI affliated.

I got a YHA card in South America and it saved me a lot.

When I got to NZ, BBH cards seem to be more widely accepted here. However, there are still YHA hostels, so I would say if you are doing a RTW go for a YHA card.

Hope that helps

4. Posted by samsara_ (Travel Guru 5353 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Oh yeah, you EACH need a card btw

5. Posted by tricky (Respected Member 323 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

thanks for input.
I cantacted the International Hostelling agency yesterday and they are sending me an application form and a list of hostles I can use in South America which could prove very useful.

It's only £8 per person membership for a year so that's good. I plan to stay in many hotels over a 6 month period so I am sure I will make these savings back in the likes of Tango in Bs As where I will probably stay for 2 weeks alone.