Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by suza (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi there. I am travelling to Perth in July on a working visa , I will be working as a locum nurse so will need a car to travel to different practices, I have held a clean UK driving licence for 9 years, will I need to apply for a licence when I get to Oz or will I be able to drive on my current UK licence?? Thanks Suz

2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

What kind of working visa is it? Working Holidaymaker Visa, or a migration visa?

If it's a temporary visa (e.g. WHM) then your UK licence should be ok for up to 12 months, however if it's a permanent residency visa or you're staying longer than 12 months then you need to get a local driving licence.

Details located here

3. Posted by Buckra (Budding Member 61 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I would suspect you will need to take out an international driver's license or something similar. When an Aussie goes to the U.S for instance he must get such a license. They do not need however to do any test for rules of road etc. I would suspect your good standing with a license over there and the fact you drive on same side as us will make it that much easier but they may ask you to know your road rules before giving you a special license.

4. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

This link might answer your questions.