I want to Work in the US

Travel Forums North America I want to Work in the US

Last Post This thread is marked as being about USA
1. Posted by markjeapes (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I want to work in the US. I currently live in the UK and am finding it hard to find a job i truly enjoy. Does any one know the best way to start looking and apply for jobs within the US?

2. Posted by trevgibbs (Full Member 3 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Its a tricky one finding a job in the states - actually, its easy finding a job in the states! But getting the relevant VISAs and remaining legit causes many problems, especially because you are a UK citizen. Its ironic that the one country that truly supports the US is one of the hardest countries to get to the US from.

Two of the main vocations that a UK citizen can work within are Finance and Journalism. I have met many British guys working in the states in these roles, but only after they have had VISAs sponsored by their employer. It isn't cheap.

There are numerous VISAs available to non - immigrants including several work VISAs. However, they are all very specific.

I suggest you review the criteria of VISA application via the US Embassy website in the UK. This info will be a good foundation to research from.

The easiest option is to marry a yank and claim residency but this is also a lenghty process and has to be a genuine (unless you are a great actor) realtionship.

The other way is to just go and stay there illegally (after 7 years you can claim residency?????) but if you get caught its highly unlikely you will be let back into the country.

I have wanted to live and work in the states since i first went several years ago. I have worked on cruise ships out of the US but even then the process is strict.

Good luck and take care!

3. Posted by adamsa (Budding Member 38 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

if you enjoy farming or the cleaning service industry im sure you could avoid visa problems ;)

4. Posted by Isadora (Travel Guru 13926 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Start here concerning the visa requirements for working in the US. The link is for the UK - London branch of the US Embassy.

I'm actually researching this for a friend in Dublin who will be spending 3-4 months here in the fall. There are several types of visas but most people fall into the H-1B and H-2B catagories. H1-B visas are for specialty employment (IT, journalism, fashion, etc) and require a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent. The H2-B visas are for skilled and unskilled workers where a business is allowed to supplement their workforce with non-resident workers if resident workers can not be found.

I agree with t.gibbs in that finding work won't be your biggest obstacle - getting the visa will. But, research the Embassy website to get an idea of how the system works and start formulating from there.

Good luck with your endeavor!