Studying in the UK

Travel Forums Europe Studying in the UK

1. Posted by elliot_aus (Full Member 61 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I dont want to go back to Australia and am looking at studying in the UK next year

I have heard about a few places to study - but some of them look a little dodgy

can anyone recommend somewhere to study that is accredited and cheap at the same time?! all of the big unis cost about 10,000 pounds a year...which is just WAYY too much for me (a poor traveller whose parents would not be willing to part with such sums of money when i could so easily return to australia and defer the payment with HECS)...

I was looking at the Universal College UK - but their website is a little dodgy. Some of the pages are missing alot of information - and I emailed to get some information and didnt have any of my questions answered.
It only costs about 3,500 per year (more my price range) to study there though.
and while the Universal College is on the DfeS register, the DfeS says that they only make sure that they are an education provider and do not monitor the quality at all courses provided by private institutions.

ANY help about studying in the Uk is greatly appreciated.

thanks alot

2. Posted by amorphis (Budding Member 47 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Tuition fees for non-EU students at Dutch univeristies can be as low as 3500 euros a year. So try the other side of the Channel (Germany, Netherlands) if you're looking for relatively cheap education. But, true, quality levels at some continental European institutions can be lower than at the high-reputation institutions in the UK. You can't have it decide whether price or quality is most important for you.

3. Posted by jaxstar (Full Member 74 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

what are you studying??

what i did, was check with unis in australia, if they have an exchange program with UK unis. if they do you might be able to get in that way, and you only pay your aussie uni fees ie HECS debt! however if you havent been at uni before, then that wont work. it only applies if youre going to to do SOME of your postgrad course or youve already been at uni for a while (time depends on each uni). i personally decided to go home and do it...

4. Posted by elliot_aus (Full Member 61 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

studying business administration or management or something businessy...

its an undergrad degree that i want to do. I did one semester of it at uni in australia - and the whole time all i wanted to do was go back to London (got that bloody travel bug and can't get ridda it!)

5. Posted by jaxstar (Full Member 74 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

well maybe you can contact your uni and find out if they have an exchange program... its really possible. did you drop out or defer? cos if you just dropped out then, yeah, dont like ur chances :D

you can even (i THINK) get centrelink payments if your registered at an aussie uni. when i looked into doing a uni exchange, they said i could get it while overseas... dunno how it is now tho!

6. Posted by elliot_aus (Full Member 61 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

my uni does have an exchange program - but you have to have completed at least one year of your degree ... and have a better average than i had.
i only got thru one semester and didnt really want to be there - so it was rather difficult!

at the moment - i am deferring my studies... and they think i am going to go back next year... i dont intend to! if i am studying in Australia - i am going to move to a different city.
BUT - i dont want to study in another Australian City - i want to go back to my life in LONDON!
...but i dont want to have to pay thru the nose for it
and i want a good accredited institution


i moved to paris last week because my english Working Holiday visa ran out... Paris is GREAT - but i still MISS LONDON!

does it get any easier?!